Sunday, December 24, 2006

IU 86 IUPUI 57

Sorry for the delay in getting the post-game report card posted....I gave my staff the week off for the holidays. Anyway, I didn't even know that IUPUI had a basketball team. The only 5 things I know about IUPUI are: (1) It should always be pronounced "Ooooey-Poooey" (2) Kristin & Troy competed several times at their world-class pool. I believe it was called the "swimatorium" (3) We used to park near IUPUI when going to Colts games. (4) I can't remember #4. Maybe I only know 4 things about IUPUI. (5) Indiana University and Purdue University go together like Jack Daniels and sour gummi worms. Who ever thought this was a good idea. That would be like an NFL team named GBPCBR (Green Bay Packers Chicago Bears @ Racine). Anyway, on to the game. It was an easy win for the Hoosiers as they jumped out to an early 10 point lead and never looked back. Calloway and Bassett were again aggressive with the ball, which makes a big difference in the team's offensive play. Calloway continually got to the rim in the first half and scored 17 of his 21 in the first half. Bassett had a good all-around game with 20 points and 5 assists. But the best thing to see in this game was Stemler finally break out of his slump with 21 points and 9 rebounds. Overall Team Performance: B IU won this game easily but that is what you expect against Oooey-Poooey. I didn't think the defense was quite as good as they have been in other games. They only managed 1 steal and only forced 7 turnovers. D.J. White: C+ Yet another game where he just doesn't quite look like his old self. Lance Stemler: A Broke out of his slump in a big way. It is clear that the Hoosiers will need Stemler to play well if they are going to have a good Big Ten season. Roderick Wilmont: C 0-6 from the field, but he did grab 9 rebounds. A.J. Ratliffe: B- Starting to get a little more consistency out of Ratliffe, which is good to see. Earl Calloway: A- Had an outstanding first half. His best games have come against Lafayette and IUPUI. He needs to play at this level against OSU and MSU. Armon Bassett: A- This kid can flat out play. Bendeman: B+ Came back from mono and had a couple nice buckets. Joey Shaw: C- Shaw hasn't really been able to get anything going recently. Everybody else was pretty much a non-factor in garbage minutes. Kelvin Sampson: B- Poll Results Most hated team: 7 votes for Purdue 3 votes for Kentucky 2 votes for Duke 0 votes for Illinois Over/Under on IU winning by 23 points: 8 votes for Over -- CORRECT 5 votes for Under Grading team's performance year-to-date: 8 votes for C 4 votes for B 1 vote for D Go Hoosiers!

2 comments:

Tom Earth said...

Now I feel complete. I was actually mentioned in the "Did You Know?" Most people know I love cheese. Many of you may not have known that I love chesseburgers. I do not like hamburgers though. If it doesn't have cheese on it, I'll go with something else.

I really like the GBPCBR reference. I have always thought IUPUI was a terrible combination. I never know whether to cheer for them or to root against them. Saturday was a pretty easy decison though.

Saturday's game was one of those games where you can actually walk away from the game for stretches at a time and just check to see what the scores is. I think I actually started watching "48 Hour Mysteries" during the game. Sometimes I am force to watch something else during an IU game (like Kipper or Dora the Explorer). This time I was watching something else by choice. With that said, I agree with the grade. I thought the defense could have been better. DJ is starting to scare me a little bit.

With Bob Knight tying Dean Smith's record, it is good to know that I was at win #700. There are a couple of readers of this blog that were with me at that game. One was a then bearded man by the name of Ryun Cook. The other was Jeff. For proof, see the 1998 IU calendar (August). The forgotten person in that picture was Brian Phelps. He was the only person at Yogi's more than Jeff and I our last year at IU. May he rest in peace. I am not sure if he's dead. It's a good bet though.

TheCoach said...

good to see stemler hitting again. don't get me started on the Knight thing. Bobby is and always has been KING! greatest coach in history.