Sunday, January 20, 2008

IU 81 Penn St 65

Well, I guess you would say it was a typical game for the Hoosiers -- not exactly a stellar performance, but they did enough to win the game. This game was tied at 54 midway through the 2nd half, but then IU went on a 27-6 run to put this one away. Watching it, you did kind of feel like it was a matter of time before the Hoosiers would pull away. But you have to give Penn St some credit, they came into Assembly Hall without their best player and made it tough on IU. As opposed to the Minnesota game, I didn't feel like IU played horribly while Penn St was hanging around. It was more that Penn St was playing out of their mind. They had guys draining 3s in this game that were shooting 15% and 20% from the arc for the year. I thought Jamarcus Ellis was the difference-maker in this game. He was the one that would break the zone with either a nice skip pass, or getting into the lane to draw the defense and then kick, or getting the ball down to DJ, or faking a pass one way to get the zone to move and then throwing a quick pass the other way for an open shot. I really liked the way he attacked the zone. In addition, Sampson put Ellis on Cornley in the 2nd half. I thought this was a curious move because Cornley is a beast. Jamarcus certainly did not shut Cornley down, but he did make him work extremely hard for everything he got. Ellis was all over him. DJ came alive in the 2nd half and played very well. He did miss a double-double but 22 points and 7 rebounds is still solid. I think IU really needs to focus on getting him the ball more. I thought Gordon had a very good game. He had a well-rounded game by pulling down some rebounds, making some nice passes, and playing tough defense. He still had a couple out of control plays, but overall, I thought he was a little more under control today. Of course, he seems to play well when the competition is a step down. Now, I'd like to see him step up against some of those teams that play tough defense because he certainly has the talent to do so. Bassett came up big by knocking down 5-6 from the arc and Stemler was solid. Stemler hit his only 3-point attempt and I think he has now hit something like 9 of his last 14. That was basically the 5 that played the entire second half. So, I think I'll stop there and get my butt over to Kristin and Troy's house for the Packer game. Oh, by the way, the important thing is that the Hoosiers keep on winning, especially in a week where something like 15 teams in the Top 25 suffered a loss. Go Hoosiers!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

so what do we expect in the new poll? 7th?

Tom Earth said...

I better make this comment quick. I am heading to the Bears game this afternoon. Let's hope they can make it back to the Super Bowl.

I missed the first half of teh IU game. I did Tivo it and will watch it later. I had the same feeling Jeff did. Even with teh game tied with 10 minutes to go, I had a good feeling IU would eventually wear PSU down. It seemed like it went from a tied game to a digit digit lead in a matter of minutes. Gordon continues to have the quietest 25 point games I have ever seen. I loved that stretch in the second half where IU kept answering PSU's threes. I know Bassett and EJ each hit one in that stretch. That Battle kid was playing out of his ass.

I really do not feel IU is playing that well right now. I sure hope they do not look past either Iowa or UCONN. They are both games that IU should win handly. I could see them stumbling against UCONN though. Let's hope that is not the case. IU is going to need all the momentum possible heading to Madison on 1/31.

That's it for now. I have to get to Soldier Field for the game. You know I would not cheer for the Packers unless hell was freezing over. What did you say? It is -3 in hell right now? Oh crap.

Tom Earth said...

I am guessing about #8 in the Coaches Poll. I have not come up with my prediction for the AP Poll yet.

jdhoosier said...

At #8 in the Coaches Poll, we are the lowest ranked 1-loss team other than Drake. That's probably because we haven't beaten anyone that is all that good.

jdhoosier said...

I am guessing Tom will predict #7 in the AP Poll. We moved ahead of both Georgetown and UCLA who both suffered their 2nd loss of the year last week.

We're still behind UCLA in the Coaches which is why we are #8 in that poll.

Tom Earth said...

Win the next three games and we'll be Top 5.