Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Inexcusable, Part 2

I know it's tough on the road in the Big Ten but you have to at least show up to give yourself a chance.

13-0.  Game over.

Or if you're the type to think maybe the start was a fluke and they can come back....

28-8.  Officially game over.

I don't care that they got it down to single digits.  I don't care that they got it down to 2 with a 29-10 stretch and still had 13 minutes to play.

This team down by 20 on the road is game over.  I knew they'd fuck with me.  I knew they'd make a run.  I knew they'd get my hopes up.  And I even knew they were still going to lose.  Yet, I still fell for it.  I got back into the game.  I got my hopes up.  Only to have those hopes shattered.

It happens all the time.  They fight all the way back but can't get over the hump.  A couple bonehead plays followed by a couple horrible calls.  Next thing you know, down by 9 again. Game over, again.

Then it happens again.  Another mini-run.  Back down to a 2-point game with 3:20 to go.  But the same ole shit cost the Hoosiers again.  Missed FTs down the stretch (Cody 1-2, Watford 1-2, Elston missed front end).  Allowing offensive rebounds -- not going to get key stops if you give them multiple opportunities.  Bad defense -- not stopping the drive leading to a pair of wide-open 3s that were daggers.

Let's take a closer look at the final collapse of the Hoosiers:
* IU cuts it to 52-50 with 3:20 to go
* Horrible defense allows a wide-open 3, 55-50, 2:50
* Elston misses the front-end
* IU allows MI to get an offensive rebound, 2nd opportunity leads to wide-open MI 3, 58-50, 1:40
* MI hits 10-12 at the line to win by 12

Note to Coach Tom Crean -- timeouts don't help when your down by 8 points with only a minute left.  Maybe consider using one while you are absolutely getting your ass handed to you.  Just a thought.  But you're the one getting paid millions of dollars to not win a conference road game outside of Penn State in 4 years.

Inexcusable....AGAIN!

5 comments:

Gavin said...

I am the fucking idiot who almost paid $200 per ticket to go see this shut. WTF... Somebody needs to show these asshole kids the film from the Kentucky game and the last 30 minutes of the Ohio St game so they will realize that defense wins games. After they got the top 10 ranking, they have completely forgotten what got them there.

There is only 1 thing in basketball you can control and that's effort! Our team has forgotten to give 100% effort since they have achieved the top 10 ranking. Unfortunately they are not a top 10 team. Maybe they will realize that in march and start to play with enthusiasm like they did in November and December.

jdhoosier said...

I would think playing in the NIT in March would make them realize that.

Anonymous said...

not usre what to say. i like that we are on the map again. we are going to win considerably more games than last year. we will be better again next year. all that said, they are very frustrating. bye bye top 25. looks like the tourney is slipping away. will be awful tough to win @ PU. please God, let us win that game.

ryun

Anonymous said...

Jeff, usually you and I are on the same page, but I can't hate on Tom Crean. I'd rather have Crean and this team (with all of their respective shortcomings) and the NIT than Sampson, his band of thugs and the NCAA any day. Just glad I was trapped in a business dinner and missed last night's debacle.

Jen

jdhoosier said...

Jen, you're just going to have to trust me on this - had you been watching the start of that game and watching them fall behind 13-0 and 28-8 without a single timeout being used, you'd have some words for Tom Crean.

I'm not calling for him to be fired or anything, just calling him out on a few things that I believe cost us big-time in a couple of recent winnable games.