Tuesday, January 16, 2007

IU 71 Iowa 64

The good news is that the final score of a 7-point margin was as close as this game ever was. The bad news is that IU let a 21-point lead get cut to 7 points at all. To me, the late run by Iowa is not too concerning. Yes, it would have been nice to beat them by 20, but the run to cut it to 7 points occurred too late in the game to ever really be considered a threat. I'm searching for the right word to describe how the Hoosiers played tonight....let's go with erratic. They definitely played with a lot of energy, but they were all over the place -- out of control one second, then getting a steal and knocking down a big shot the next second. It was almost like the whole team was playing like Wilmont tonight. I'm still a big believer in giving Wilmont the green light because I think he gives the team a huge lift anytime he knocks down a big shot. The last 2 games, he has definitely launched a lot of shots, but he's hitting around 45% of them and providing a spark for the team. As for the rest of the team, I'd prefer they play a little more under control. Once again, Calloway was all over the board. For the most part, I thought he played pretty crappy. However, he had about 3 "street-ball" plays that were worthy of a couple Tivo rewinds. He had 2 no-look passes to DJ on fast-breaks and then he had a great drive and pull-up jumper where he went behind-the-back, then between the legs, then pulled up and knocked down a double-pumping 12-footer (in reality, I think it was only a single-pump, but double-pump sounds a lot better). Anyway, he finished with 8 assists, 4 turnovers, and 3 steals. Like I said, all over the board. He just needs to continue to work on when is the right time to go full speed versus when ball control is more important. Then there was Stemler. Do albinos also suffer from seizures? That's what it looked like on a couple of his jumpers tonight -- he had back-to-back airballs. On to the report card.... Overall Team Performance: B+ Clearly, you have to play well do build a 21 point lead, but I was concerned with their erratic play. Whenever you are involved in a sloppy game, I think you leave the door open for big runs just like Iowa had to close out the game. Again, this was too little, too late out of Iowa, but I do think the tough defense/ball control style of play is easier to hold leads with. Nonetheless, it was still a nice win and they are now 10-0 at home under Sampson. Wouldn't it be great if they could keep that streak going! D.J. White: A Other than a few turnovers, D.J. was awesome tonight. He was controlling the glass and was finishing around the basket, including finishing on fast breaks when fouled. Definitely an improved D.J. White compared to what we were seeing earlier in the season. Lance Stemler: D+ He finished with 7 points and 7 rebounds which isn't too bad, but he also had 3 turnovers, 2 airballs, and some stupid fouls. He was agressive on the boards, but he clearly was over-the-back on several of those. I'd like to see him get back in the groove. Armon Bassett: B+ Grade is bumped up a couple notches for banking in that 30-footer at the shot clock buzzer. It was the kind of shot that causes the heads of Iowa fans to explode and splatter all over their Craig Kingsbury poster. Roderick Wilmont: B+ As long as he is hitting 40+ % of his shots, I am fine with him firing away. This team's offense has gone stale at certain times this year, but that doesn't seem to happen when Wilmont is playing aggressively. I thought he did another nice job on the boards and chasing down loose balls. I actually thought he was working on another 10-rebound night and was shocked to see the box score only had him with 5. Nonethless, he's logged 40 points and 17 rebounds in his last two games. Earl Calloway: B- The 8 assists and highlight plays help you overlook some of the stupid plays, but you still need your point guard to play smarter. A.J. Ratliffe: B Only 15 minutes due to foul trouble (and maybe a couple bad defensive plays on Haluska), but I thought Ratliffe had another solid game. It's good to see him playing well. Joey Shaw: D+ 11 minutes of action, but couldn't get anything going. Still like the way he always plays aggressively. All in all, I'm really pumped about the way this team is playing. They are in good shape at 4-1 in the Big Ten with their only loss at Ohio State. Hopefully, they can keep it going this weekend at UConn. They are actually down this year, so it is another opportunity for the Hoosiers to knock off a big-time program. If they pull off the win, it will be time to start watching for the Hoosiers to crack the Top 25. Poll Questions: You would think by now that Cook would know that I throw some of this crap out there just to get him all riled up. I've got nothing against Stevie Hoosier even though he now coaches Iowa. In fact, he is definitely one of my all-time favorite Hoosiers. My top 3 tends to change depending on my mood -- if it's toughness, then guys like Moye and Coverdale tend to be up there. If it's just based on how good they were as a Hoosier, then it's definitely guys like Alford and Cheaney. Anyway, Steve Alford IS the greatest shooter that college basketball has ever seen. Ryun - you will be pleased to know that nobody actually selected the option of "Alford is an ass just like Knight". See, nobody thinks that and I was just throwing it out there to get a reaction out of you. However, I do think you might be stuck in 1987 and might need to start an "All hail the General" blog. I was a big Knight fan when he coached IU, but I am an IU basketball fan first and foremost. So, I definitely appreciate what Knight did at IU and I think he is one of the greatest coaches of all time, but my focus is always on the current year's team. As for the results of the Alford question, most of the voters (6) still see Alford in an IU uniform knocking down jumpers. I tend to picture the '87 championship game where he came off a screen, nailed a 3 at the half-time buzzer, and trotted on into the locker room. There were also 2 votes each for Top 3 favorite Hoosier of all-time, great player/horrible coach, and makes me sick to see him in black & yellow. 5 votes correctly predicted the 4-9 point victory, while 3 voters thought it would be 10-plus (which it should have been). Go Hoosiers!

21 comments:

Unknown said...

The first half was almost over by the time I got home, so I can't comment there, but from what I saw in the second half they looked good. This is the DJ we've been waiting for all year.

It would have been great to notch another 20 point win, but it's unrealistic to think every conference home game will be a blow out. It didn't seem they played that bad win Iowa went on the run, but they definently struggle defensively in the post when DJ is on the bench.

Also, I'm not a big fan of the non-conference game during Big Ten season this weekend, but it would be a huge, quality road win. Hoosiers, Colts, Bears, what a weekend!

Tom Earth said...

I tivoed the game but did see bits and pieces. I followed most of it on the Internet on the way home. It sure seems like DJ is developing into the force down low that we had hoped. He was all over the offensive glass again tonight. I thought it was a real solid effort tonight by the whole team.

Since I missed most of the first half, was Sampson talking about Calloway's play during his halftime interview with Erin Andrews (so hot....want to touch the hiney!)? He said something about poor play from the point guard. He then said it would be handled at halftime. I wasn't sure if it was Bassett, Calloway or someone else.

jdhoosier said...

I think he was mainly talking about Calloway, but Bassett also looked shaky at the point when Calloway was on the bench.

I also liked when she asked him about Wilmont, his response was "he needs to shoot more". I think there was a thin layer of sarcasm on that one.

TheCoach said...

DJ is the man. I love this team's balance though. We better be ranked if we beat UConn!

Unknown said...

IU looked gooooood last night...despite Iowa closing the gap. Although, if IU would have kept their foot on the gas, I think they could have easily won by 20+. While I think Sampson wanted to beat Alford, I mean Iowa, there was no sense in embarrassing the Hoosier Hero!

I like Sampson more & more each game. He can coach, he can recruit, he understands & respects the tradition, and the students love him. Did you hear how he is going to try and reconfigure where the students will sit during the games next year. IU will/may have their version of the Cameron Crazies...maybe the Hoosier Hecklers!!

Let's keep this thing going!

PS~Sounds like the football program signed some good recruits...one even turned down Michigan to commit to IU!!

jdhoosier said...

I like the nickname Hoosier Hecklers for our students. They already heckle our own fans -- did you see the article where the students started a chant directed at the alumni/local season-ticket holders? They kept chanting "stand up, old people". Maybe if the students received better seats, they could heckle the opposing team and the officials, rather than our own fans.

Unknown said...

Nice Kingsbury reference, but it is Chris Kingsbury, not Craig.

Also, lots of positive "press" for IU. Musberger was saying last night that it's as loud as he's heard Assembly Hall in several years, and Packer said, against MSU, that it was as impressive a performance as he's seen from IU in a number of years. We're getting back on people's radar screens for good things, it seems, which is nice.

Unknown said...

I almost forgot,...Tom, thanks for pointing out. I can't believe Sampson said, "So hot...want to touch the hiney" to Erin Andrews during the halftime interview. Got to love that kind of honesty!!

jdhoosier said...

That's right, it was Chris Kingsbury, thanks for the correction. As you can see, my memory is spotty at best, so I may have this one wrong as well....but wasn't Kingsbury also on the receiving end of Michael Lewis throwing a point-blank inbounds pass right off his face. That was great, his face turned bright red and his eyes were watering. The best part was that you knew Michael Lewis did it on purpose.

Speaking of Michael Lewis, I also loved the time where he jawed right back in Knight's face during a time-out. The amazing thing was that he got away with it. Either he was right or Knight somehow respected him for having the stones to stand up to him.

By the way, I just did some internet searches and the Erin Andrews/Sampson halftime interview is now being referred to as "the hiney scandal".

Unknown said...

Where was the most hated Hawkeye poll? I think that should be a standard before every game. Kingsbury, Recker, Acie Earl, Reggie Evans, and about 100 interchangable corn-fed white forwards that all seem to have 7 years of eligibility. Probably end up being Recker b/c of the whole defection and the buzzer shot in the tourney, but from an overall body of work standpoint, Kingsbury was one of the all time a$$holes of the Big Ten.

Unknown said...

I can still remember the Michael Lewis ball of the face. Reading that almost made me spit out of my coffee. Another classic Kingsbury memory was when he tried to do an impromptu press in the backcourt and Damon got past him and then simply stopped and Kingsbury nearly flipped over his back picking up the stupid foul.

Unknown said...

Last nights game was a positive showcase for IU. They gave the program a lot of credit, they complimented to coach, the crowd, and they seemed to show the atmosphere inside Assembly Hall from a lot of different vantage points. Did anyone notice the HORRIBLE view from the back of the main level, under the balcony? Those seats really stink. Been there. I also liked the animation of Assembly Hall from EA Sports. That was cool.
Best play: Calloway dished to DJ for down the middle lay-in plus one.
Iowa didn't close the gap until the 4:00 mark when most of the starters were on the bench. Is that an act of Sampson closing the lead a bit, or resting players, of a lack of focus at the end of the game?

Unknown said...

I thought that this was an interesting comment from Alford that I saw in the Indy Star:

Alford, the senior All-American on that championship team, was asked if he keeps closer tabs on IU because he played there, or if it's just another Big Ten school for him now.
"I don't think any closer,'' Alford said. "If there's another program I follow closer, it's (Knight's) Texas Tech. I follow that program real close.''

jdhoosier said...

That's because he knows Pat Knight is a fool and the Texas Tech job will be open one year after Patrick takes over.

Tom Earth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tom Earth said...

Pat Knight still has the same look on his face at TT as his did when he was a player at IU. "I am not sure what the score is but there is going to he one hell of an after-party tonight. By the way, I'm definitely getting laid there."

TheCoach said...

Dear Tom and Jff,

Are you guys by chance related to that little punk that insulted the General outside Assembly Hall and ran to his dad at the paper? I can't believe how you turn on the greatest coach in IU history(whom you loved at one point) to the point that you even insult his family? Next you'll be insulting his grandsons?

jdhoosier said...

Cook,

I don't know why you think I turned on Knight. I've always been a big fan of The General. Just because I pose questions about whether or not he is an ass doesn't mean I'm not a fan. In fact, you'd have a hard time arguing that he is not an ass because he is. But sometimes you have to be an ass to be a great coach, so I don't hold that against him. Again, I am a big fan of Bob Knight, but I am a bigger fan of IU basketball and I haven't gone running out to buy a Texas Tech t-shirt or anything like that.

Now on to your other comment....you can't possibly be sticking up for Pat Knight, can you? If so, you need to have your head examined. Bobby himself said it best when he said "Patrick is a perfect example of why some wild animals eat their young."

jdhoosier said...

Oh, I almost forgot, the Knight grandsons are ugly and like figure skating.

Unknown said...

A quick follow-up to the "stand up old people chant". There was a blurb about it in a recent SI article, followed by this statment:

"The school is blaming former coach Mike Davis for the chant, saying that if he hadn't gotten himself fired last season, all fans could unite in a 'Fire Mike Davis' chant this season."

Very funny!

Tom Earth said...

Ryun...I don't know why you would think I don't like Knight. I was upset when he got let go and still cheer for Texas Tech. The only point that I am trying to make is that the guy has been gone for 10 years and it is time to focus on the present. He is not coming back to coach IU.

I hope Texas Tech comes to Bloomington before he retires and they name the court after him. He is the single greatest figure in IU basketball. His accomplishments (on and off the court) far outweigh his flaws. He is an ass though. I think he truly likes being an ass. I thought it was hilarious while he was at IU. Now that he is gone, it is a little tiresome. It's like Dennis Rodman. You look the other way when the guy is a spectical on your championship team. When you are not winning, it becomes annoying and a distraction.

Long live RMK. I hope he coaches until he is 80. I will always be a fan of his.