Monday, January 15, 2007

IU 84 Penn St 74

Sorry for the late posting. I'm sure everyone has at least read about the Penn State game if they were not able to watch it on Saturday, so I'll be brief. Overall Team Performance: B- They won on the road and that's the most important thing. They didn't play particularly well especially on the defensive end, but they found a way to win. If you didn't see the game, the 10-point margin is misleading. IU did not get their first lead until mid-way through the 2nd half. Their defense was horrendous in the 1st half and allowed Penn State to build a double-digit lead. Wilmont single-handedly kept IU in the game by pouring in 20 first half points. IU made a nice run to close the lead to 1 point at halftime. In the second half, Wilmont kept shooting but unfortunately he had cooled off quite a bit. The good news was that Ratliffe came in and hit a few 3s of his own. Bassett wasn't playing very well up until he hit two big 3s during the stretch where IU finally took the lead. I thought DJ had a really solid game. Penn State's zone defense was not letting him get any good looks, but DJ was a monster on the offensive glass and got most of his points on put-backs. Stemler was a no-show, Calloway showed no brains, and Shaw barely even played. Bendeman and Mike White were solid in their limited minutes. Roderick Wilmont: A- 25 points and 12 rebounds. He took a lot of shots (some of them bad shots), but he played hard and kept the Hoosiers in the game in the 1st half. A.J. Ratliffe: A- A.J. has looked great in the last 2 games after coming back from the wrist injury. D.J. White: A- He worked hard to earn his points. 14 points and 11 rebounds is a solid effort. Earl Calloway: C- Some very poor decisions, such as pulling up for a 3 on a 1-on-4 fast break. Armon Bassett: B Struggled for most of the game, but hit a pair of big 3s during a key stretch in the 2nd half. Lance Stemler: D- No factor in the game. Joey Shaw: C- Only 3 minutes. Not sure if that was just because AJ & Rod were playing well or if he did something wrong. Mike White: B Had a nice blocked shot and a couple hoops. Ben Allen: B I can't remember what they were but I do remember Chris and I talking that Bendeman actually did a couple things right. Xavier Keeling: C+ Generally plays solid aggressive defense, but committed some stupid fouls on Saturday. Poll Results: 7 people correctly predicted a 10-19 point win, but I don't think it came as easily as anyone had hoped. 2 people had predicted a blow-out and 3 people predicted a close win. All 9 votes were for Brian Cardinal as the most hated boiler, although there was a write-in for Brad Miller. I wasn't too surprised by this -- Cardinal was pretty easy to hate. I think his little face-wipe thing he did at the FT line sealed the hatred in the eyes of IU fans. What an idiot. As for best coach in the Big Ten, no big surprise here -- 8 votes for Bo Ryan, 2 votes for Izzo, and 1 vote for Matta. Hopefully, by this time next year, Sampson will be getting some of those votes, but I think we all want to see results on the court first. Go Hoosiers!

4 comments:

TheCoach said...

I don't see how Hoosiers can hate Knight or Alford, so I'm offended by the choice, "He's an ass just like Knight." Knight is King. How can Alford not be one of your top 3 favorite Hoosiers? Clean cut, All-American kid. No athletic ability, slow as can be. Just a pure shooter that dominated for IU. He probably isn't a great coach. I was afraid IU was going to hire him, but he may be all right with more experience. I bet he could recruit the state of Indiana. I think this Hoosier team is a top 25 team. I hope we're there by the next poll.

Tom Earth said...

Cook, where are the Knight comments coming from? Did I miss something in one of the posts? The guys has been gone since 2000. Let's focus on the present, Dickie V.

I think IU deserved a B+ on this one. I must admit that I had to turn the TV off in the first half twice in a fit of rage. Each time I turned it back on, IU had come back. The I would watch it for a few minutes and Penn State would go on a run. Those that know me know that I am very superstitious. I thought about not watching the rest of the game because of that. Luckily I turned it back on with five minutes to go in the first hald and was able to watch the rest of the game.

AS was said in the original posting, it is extremeley difficult to win on the road in the Big Ten. Wisconsin is one of the best teams in the country and the squeaked by NW. I thought Penn State played the best they possibly could in the first half. IU's defense helped that though. I was really happy to see them close the gap to one at the half and then come out strong in the second half.

I remember Bendeman getting a rebond during te game. I think it was a crucial one too. I looked at the box score that night and I think that was the only thing he had.

IU has a really tough stretch coming up with Iowa and on the road at Illinois and UCONN. If they find a way to get two of three, this could be a special season.

Tom Earth said...

Just saw the poll. I voted for an ass like Knight.

TheCoach said...

you should be ashamed of yourself.