Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Definition of CRAZY

WARNING: You will need sound for this video and it is NOT appropriate for children or most workplaces. If you are ever bored and need some entertainment, do a search on YouTube for Bob Knight. Trust me, there's hours of good material out there. But out of all the Bob Knight YouTube videos and past SportsCenter Top 10 Bob Knight moments, the video that I have included below is my all-time favorite. There are 2 main reasons that this video is my all-time favorite: 1) To my knowledge, this video never made it to the world wide web or anywhere in the public eye until it was posted on YouTube in October '07. However, thanks to a friend of the IU Hoops blog who is a friend of the camera-man who filmed The Bob Knight show, I have been studying a bootleg copy of this video for 10 years. I'm so happy this video is now out there for all to enjoy. 2) The second reason that this is my favorite video of Bobby is that this shows just how truly crazy this guy was/is. He was not prompted by anyone else, there was no reporter asking a dumb question, and to my knowledge there was not a referee in the room. Nope, this is just him talking and the crazy shit going on in his head. So with that intro, it's now time for you to watch the video. After you watch the video, continue to read on below the video as I have a full breakdown and analysis of the craziness. OK, so how many times did you watch it? I told ya.....he crazy. Now, there are some key moments in the video where you can tell he starts to lose it. And I'm not talking about hearing the frustration (or I should say disappointment) in his voice, I'm talking about some signs that this man is getting ready to have an outburst even though he is still relatively calm at that particular moment. The first one comes right about the 19 second mark into the video. You have to watch for it, but his right eye bugs out and takes a quick look to the right. At that moment, you can tell that something ain't quite right here. The next one is the exact same thing with the right eye but this one is more pronounced. This one takes place at the 28 second mark. Go ahead, watch it again and look for it. After this second bug-out of the right eye, you can really start to tell that something is brewing here. But before the outburst, I think there is one more very interesting moment. It is during the 35 through 39 second mark. During this 4-second span, his speech is almost starting to sound like the man is sad. Now, this is not an emotion that we have ever seen out of Bob Knight. Seriously, has anyone ever seen The General sad? Don't fret, my friends. Because good ole Bobby quickly snaps out of it and seamlessly goes right into that emotion that we all came to know and love out of him -- anger, sweet boorish anger. And again, the fact that it was unprovoked outrage and that it all went on in his own head while speaking on the talk show with his name on it..... that's why this is my favorite Bob Knight video clip of all time. Enjoy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

cook:

the general has always been and always will be THE MAN. oh, for those good 'ol days!

Unknown said...

Wow! This thing they call the internet is pretty awesome. That is a classic! Was Chuck Marlowe still around in '96? Bobby was always very comfortable losing control in front of Chuck. Thanks for pointing out the right eye bugging out. I didn't pick up on that the first time. Also, the first time I watched it I noticed that the clip was only 54 seconds long. I was about 40 seconds into it and nothing had happened. Therfore, I deduced that something very profound was about to happen. And sure enough, Bobby rarely let us down.

jdhoosier said...

I do think that was Chuck Marlowe, but I was surprised that he would still be around in '96. Maybe he was still just doing this show.

Anonymous said...

I miss the old days. That was a classic Knight moment. I love how diring the lead up to the out burst how he tries to hold it together. You can tell from the speech pattern that he is totally disengaged and trying to just get through the obligatory part of the job. The classic oint for me was right before the outburst, he seems to just shut down and go into eruption mode.

Classic piece. Thanks Dart for delivering another Clasic to the blog.

Gavin