Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Say It Ain't So, Mo

Say it ain't so or say it is so, but just say something, Mo.  If you haven't been following the recruitment of Moses Abraham, let me just tell you that the last 48 hours have been very interesting.

I'll attempt to recap it for you now.  Please be aware that I am going by my recollection only.  Mainly because I am lazy, but also because most of this story is based on fan comments, rumors, and unnamed sources.  In fact, it's my belief that many of the IU blogs are now referring to each other when they say "a source close to the situation tells me...."  Regardless, if you are a junkie for any IU basketball related content, then the last 48 hours have actually been fun.

So, Moses Abraham is 6'9" and 235 pounds.  He was virtually unknown 6 months ago.  He came to the United States from Nigeria about 5 or 6 months ago and played his senior season in the D.C. area.  The word on the web is that he has a huge wing span and is an excellent shot blocker.  Good size and athletic.  Somewhat raw on the offensive end.  I even read "not Tijan raw, but still raw".  I've seen anywhere from 4-stars to not rated.  His recruitment heated up the last couple of months and he took visits to Georgetown, Maryland, and Tennessee.  His visits to Seton Hall and IU (senior night against NW when we actually won) were cancelled due to Moses having the flu.  Cancellations of visits regardless of the reason provided usually means that the kid is no longer interested in that school, but all reports were that Moses was truly sick.

Even with the IU visit cancelled, IU was still considered a contender with Georgetown being the leader.  Then came this past Sunday.  Reports from IU outlets were that Abraham was down to two schools -- IU and Georgetown.  However, as I started reading more on Sunday, I came across an article in the Washington Post that also said he was down to two schools, but those two schools were Maryland and Georgetown.  Regardless of which schools, all outlets were reporting a decision on Sunday night around 7 pm.

So, like many IU fans desperate for some good news, I logged on to Inside the Hall, The Hoosier Scoop, Hoosier Hype, and Peegs and started refreshing each site one at a time and kept doing it over and over and over and over again.  I know it sounds pretty pathetic, but each site had a lot of fan comments and chatter, so it was actually entertaining to read all the new comments that would pop up.  7pm came and went with no news, but eventually there were "sources from the Abraham camp" that said the decision would come at midnight.

For me, no problemo.  I'm a night owl anyway and they're talking Eastern Time to boot.  So, I took a break and then re-started my 4-site refresh routine.  Nothing but comments from fans and word from a Georgetwon site that Moses attended the Hoyas Selection Show party, which obviously would be bad news.  Then there was a lot of commentary about whether he could be there during a "no-contact recruitment period", followed by news that it was a public place, blah, blah, blah.  It should also be noted that Crean was in D.C. on Sunday to watch Oladipo play, but also a lot of speculation whether he was going to try to see Abraham, followed by the no-contact stuff, blah, blah, blah.  But I couldn't help myself and stayed online until 1:30am CT (2:30am ET).  Still no news.

Monday comes and IU fans are still clamoring for information....anything they, I mean we, can get our hands on.  On Monday night, I felt like I was in an episode of Seinfeld when I joined a live blog/chat to discuss the lack of news.  It was put on jointly by Inside the Hall and The Hoosier Scoop and they said they had more people join that discussion about nothing than their live blogs/chats of IU games during the year.  At this point, it was pretty clear that this whole situation had taken on a life of it's own.

At some point in the night, Hoosier Nation got word from the Abraham camp that there would not be a decision on Monday night.  With that, I think most Hoosier fans went to bed thinking that this must be good for IU.  If the decision was truly down to IU and Georgetwon and the final decision was Georgetown, then most thought the decision would have been announced Sunday or Monday.  Many thought the longer this takes, the better chance for IU.

Today's news has been a confirmation of that line of thinking.  There have been some reports today that the delay in the decision has been mainly due to IU still being in the picture.  And now, as of tonight, it appears that Abraham will visit IU.  That news is very good news for IU fans and now I just hope that it leads to even better news in the form of a commitment.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

There's still two schools of thought here.  One is that this is IU's golden opportunity to close the deal.  The other is that Mo might just being doing this to appease certain people in his "camp" who might be pushing him to at least visit IU before making a decision.

Another interesting thing about this is that this kid is not The Savior even with a name like Moses Abraham.  My concern with this recruitment getting this much attention, people might think he is supposed to be a savior.  Don't get me wrong, I hope IU lands this kid, but I would see him coming in and competing with Capo and Pritchard and Bawa.  Competing is the key word.  I don't see him coming in as a guaranteed starter by any stretch of the imagination.  But anything that can potentially help IU get better, I am all for it.  And if the 5-spot is going to give you little to no offense, then it would be nice to at least have a shot-blocker on the defensive end.  I'm just sayin'.

And the final angle in all this is that IU would have room on the roster next year, but it would make them oversigned by 1 the following year.  Or something like that.  I actually haven't been looking at the scholarship numbers all that closely because I do expect at least one transfer this off-season, so it probably won't matter in the end.

Now that I've taken the time to type this, I should probably go check some other sites to make sure I haven't missed any comments from "kelin blab" or "4guards" or "Chronic Hoosier".

Moses Abraham....you have to love that name.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris Writes:
Well written Jeff. I was just watching the Reggie Miller vs The Knicks 30 on 30 ESPN Film. Man, I hate to sound old, but I loved it when the Hoosiers were always tough in the B10 and NCAA (March), then you had the Pacers with Reggie challenging in the Central. Then it was the NBA playoffs and Indy500 which sometimes happened on the same day. THAT was the greatest sports weekend. Listen to the race and then turn on NBC to watch the Hicks vs Knicks.

Anyway, I don't know much about the kid but Crean seems to be going after him pretty hard. We need a big guy in the middle. 6-9 with wingspan is good in the big 10. We need a guy who can alter shots in the paint. Maybe they can get him to develop a baby hook or something so that he has a scoring option.
All I can say is that everyone is looking for Crean to land some size and he's clearly working on it. 6-9 with hops is a good start.
I have a hard time understandinng the availability of scholarships, but I have to believe that Crean knows how to manage it.

jdhoosier said...

I have Reggie vs. the Knicks on my DVR....looking forward to watching it. I consider that one game where he had 8 points in the final 11 seconds (or something like that) as one of the greatest and most spectacular finishes to any sporting event ever. I still have the Indy Star frome the next day. I might have to see if I can find that.

jdhoosier said...

A little more on Reggie.....there were certainly better overall players, but there weren't many better shooters, and there may not have been anyone better in the clutch. That skinny fucker would rip the hearts out of opposing teams and fans. The fact that it happened repeatedly against the Knicks was icing on the cake.

jdhoosier said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tom Earth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tom Earth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tom Earth said...

Damn it. I just wrote a bunch of stuff and I deleted it because it posted twice. that sucks. i am too tired to retype it. maybe tomorrow.

jdhoosier said...

I don't know what's going on, the same thing happened to me. This blog is a piece of shit.

TheCoach said...

i think it's good for the crean doubters to see that in fact he is trying to get big men. it's not easy competing with TN, Georgetown, and MD though. we're going to have transfers.

Anonymous said...

Chris writes:

JD and Coach, What leads you to believe there will be transfers?

Are you just going with the gut?
Are you going with the odds?

When do you think we'll find out? Is there a deadline for transfers?

jdhoosier said...

I believe there will be transfers based on Crean's comments that the scholarship situation is extremely bottom-heavy. With Roth's injury, he basically gets added to this year's freshmen class and now you have 7 scholarships tied up in the class. Crean said that he does not want to have to re-build again when those guys graduate. Well, the only way the scholarship situation changes is if guys transfer or if guys go pro early and we don't have anyone going pro early, so.....

As for timing, there is not a specific deadline, but I think transfers are pretty common within the first month following the end of the season or at the end of the spring school semester. At the latest, the player would want to be enrolled in their new school for the fall semester.

For IU's situation right now, if someone is going to transfer, I would expect that news fairly soon. However, if the guy does want to finish the semester, then you could see the logic in holding off on any announcement to avoid any hassle and comments on campus.

Looking back to last year, the Malik Story transfer news came out on March 25th and the Nick Williams transfer news broke on April 15th. So, the next few weeks could potentially be interesting. And regardless of transfer news, we still have Moses-Watch to keep us occupied.

TheCoach said...

yep, not much to add to that. i'd expect it soon. rumors have been all around. with this many new guys in one year, i'd be shocked if atleast one guy didn't leave and crean is actively looking at guys from ths 2010 class to add when we are already full on our schollies.

Anonymous said...

i without a doubt enjoy all your writing style, very attractive,
don't quit as well as keep posting due to the fact that it simply that is worth to look through it,
excited to look at additional of your current content articles, goodbye ;)

TheCoach said...

was that from a secret admirer? anwyay, i originally voted that Mo would join the bobsled team, but voted again that he'll commit to IU. he now plans an official to bloomington in addition to playing in the derby classic that creek, watford, and hulls played in.

jdhoosier said...

Hey Coach,

That was a very attractive comment. It was definitely worth to look through it. excited to look at additional of your current content comments on abraham, moses, goodbye ;[