Monday, March 8, 2010

Timing of McLeod Firing is More than a Little Odd

In case you missed, Assistant Coach Roshown McLeod missed Saturday's NW game and was fired on Sunday.

Crean is being very vague about it and McLeod has been tight-lipped but plans to issue a statement tomorrow.

The Hoosier Scoop captured Crean's comments from his radio show.  In typical Tom Crean fashion, he talked for a little while, but didn't really say much.
“I want Roshown to be successful,” Crean said. “I think what happened with us is it became abundantly clear that I needed to make a change. It became clear to our staff that we needed to make a change. The only thing that’s worse than looking at the time was being indecisive. I wasn’t going to be indecisive. That’s where it’s at. Frankly, I’d like to keep it there. I really don’t want to have to go any further than that. I want to continue to coach this basketball team this season the best way that we can, Continue to recruit the way that we are, get this program pulling in the same direction in every area in what we’re trying to accomplish, what we want from Indiana, what Indiana deserves from us, certainly with the recruiting. It’s gotta be pulling in the same direction and that’s what I want to focus on, and I’m going to do my best to leave it at that and focus on that. I’m not being evasive, but that’s where I’m leaving it…. The decision’s been made. That’s the way it is.”

Obviously, Crean is trying to downplay the timing, but I have to admit that the timing does seem very odd.  There has been speculation that Crean was not happy with McLeod's recruiting and his handling of the big men (I know, a picture of Tom Pritchard popped into my head too).  However, if McLeod's performance is the ONLY issue, then you simply wait until the season ends on Thursday or Friday.  So, I think there has to be more to it than that.

Since this blog has absolutely no journalistic integrity, let's FUEL SOME SPECULATION:
  • Maybe Crean has his eye on a new assistant and wants to be sure he can act as soon as the season ends. 
  • Perhaps Crean has his eye on a recruiting target or targets and has an assistant in mind that can help him land said target(s). 
  • Could it be disciplinary?  McLeod was not at the game on Saturday, then fired on Sunday.  Hmmm.
  • What if McLeod made too many phone calls?  Wouldn't you just shit a [insert your answer to the poll question here]!?!?!?!
Now that I've thrown that out there, let's just hope that Crean had made up his mind and figured there was no plus side to waiting even though the season is nearly over.

7 comments:

Brad Healy said...

Maybe I am just a little jumpy about things after Sampson, but after reading about this earlier today I have had a bad feeling in my gut that I can't seem to shake. It doesn't make sense to do it on Sunday. Something had to have happened that forced IU to cut ties with him ASAP.

Anonymous said...

Gavin said...

I just watched the 1976 national championship game on the Big Ten Network. Does anyone remember when our only thought or better worry during the season was whether we would go undefeated or lose some ROAD games during the year? I do. Its the entire reason I went to IU.

With that said...

I miss Bobby! Ther I said it. I miss Bobby. I mis the fact that the only embarrassing thing that happened to us was the occasional punched cop (who probably deserved it any way) or abused reporter (who definitly deserved it).


Further more...

I have decided I hate Miles Brand. I know that everyone become a saint posthumously and the guy just passed, but I hate the fucker. I hate him and his stupid "zero toelerance double secret probation" policy. If Coach is reading this and I'm sure he is I can only say, Bobby please come back! I'm on my knees begging. Please come back and tell me that the last 10 years were just a bad dream and that we're going undefeated in the perfect season you strived for. Tell me thayt we don't have to live in this hell anymore. Tell me that Ron Felling will be back getting drunk at yogi's and that you're going to choke him again for old time sake. Tell me Dan Dakich is stil your trusted assistant and we will pull in 5 Star recruits from indian thayt can shoot freethrows, play defense and pas the ball (to our players not the other team or in some cases some poor old lady in the 5th row of Mackey arena. Tell me that were adding another fan banner for having to endure that last 10 seasons and that is the last we will ever speak of it again. Tell me that Kevin sampson is satan who was sent fro hell to tempt you in the wilderness and you resisted. Tell me that that Fuck Rick Greenspan actually was aborted by his mother because she knew she was carrying the spawn of Satan and could bear to allow Hoosier nation to suffer through his evil! Please I'm begging you to stop the nightnmare Bobby. Please come back and and Dart and I will offer ourselves as sacrificial lambs in the student night. We will take the abuse of your wrath for asking a stupid question of you the perfect one. The only one to deliver us the perfect season we all remember.

Until then, I am going to sleep to hopefully dram of Kent Benson, Tom Abernathy, scott May, Quinn Buckner and perfection.

Go Hoosiers. I can't wait to watch Bobby on the sideline in the 2001 season and hope Dane Fife has a great year under you Bobby.

TheCoach said...

i have a bad feeling

jdhoosier said...

Gavin wins the Comment of the Year award. That was outstanding!

Anonymous said...

Gavin said...

If only I could go to a computer and use spell check. I was on a roll. No time to use correct grammer or spell check.

TheCoach said...

a few things: #1 have you heard the word that Rivers was IU bashing? #2 How about the rumor that Fife will be the replacement? do we believe it and is there someone we'd rather have? #3 article says Creek has improved his bench from barely getting 185 once to doing reps of 6 at 205. it also said he hit 31 straight 3's in a competition with seltzer. #4 any more thoughts on who is going to transfer?

Tom Earth said...

and this ball game is ova......