Saturday, November 24, 2007

Chicago Invitational Debacle

IU got their first true test on Friday night when Illinois State cut it to 2 in the 2nd half, but the Hoosiers responded well and ultimately won that game 70-57. That set-up tonight's championship game of the Chicago Invitational Challenge against Xavier. And I'm sure you know by now, tonight's result was not a good one as IU falls 80-65. Obviously, when you only shoot 1-15 from the arc, you are going to struggle. However, I still think the biggest problem tonight was again defense. If the Hoosiers were stronger defensively, you can possibly survive a poor shooting night from 3-point range. Tonight, they simply could not get stops when they needed them. Not only that, but they weren't even forcing tough shots, they were often giving up layups. The game started tight and you could tell that Xavier was going to be a formidable opponent. But then just about everything that could go wrong did actually go wrong for IU in the 1st half. Gordon picked up his 3rd foul and had to sit out the last 7 minutes of the half. Then, with 5 seconds to go in the half and IU down by 9, DJ has the ball in good position in the low post. He takes a dribble to back down his defender, the defender flops, and DJ gets whistled for his 3rd foul of the 1st half with only 2 seconds to go. Then, to add insult to injury, Xavier throws the ball the length of the floor, some jackass catches it and hits a 12-footer at the buzzer to make it 40-29 at half with Gordon and DJ both with 3 fouls. Ouch. But the disappointing thing about this game is that IU never even made a run in the 2nd half. This is college basketball where every team makes a run, but the game was never close again and IU just simply got their ass kicked. They played hard and the effort was there, but they just are not good enough defensively. To make a run, you have to make stops and they could not get a stop to save their life. They would play tough defense early in the shot clock, but then would have a break down, and Xavier was a good enough team to make the right passes and finish the plays. Even if the Hoosiers could get a stop every once in a while, their offense was just bad. Bassett's shot was way off tonight. He hit IU's only trey, but it took him 7 attempts. Gordon got 20 points, but that was only due to 12-12 from the line. He never got into a rhythm and never got anything going. DJ was the only guy that shot the ball well as he was 7-9 from the field, which begs the question as to why they don't go to DJ more and why DJ doesn't demand the ball more. Giving up 80 points in this type of a game is very concerning. This was a game that was mostly played in the half-court and was very hard fought. The fact that IU only scored 65 points is not what surprised or concerned me. But the fact that they gave up 80 is extremely troubling. I would have hoped that this IU team could have a cold outside shooting night, but still find a way to win a game like this by a score of something like 65-61. What might be even more concerning is that they played very hard tonight, so it's not an effort thing. I think it's going to take some time for all of these new guys to play well together on the defensive end and play Sampson's style of defense. Unfortunately, they don't have time because 3 of their next 4 games are against tough opponents in Georgia Tech, Southern Illinois, and Kentucky. So, if they don't get it figured out, they could be collared with another loss or two or three and suddenly our "special season" is starting to look very average. Very disappointing. They never even made a game out of it in the second half. Writing this crap is supposed to be therapeutic for me, but I still feel like I'm going to vomit, so I am going to stop now. I'd be interested in hearing everyone else's thoughts. My final thoughts are that I think the Chicago Invitational Challenge is a stupid tournament and Tom Earth remains the only good thing to ever come out of Chicago. Go Hoosiers.

8 comments:

Tom Earth said...

I had a bad feeling about tonight. I saw the end of the Xavier game yesterday. Mary and I got to go to the game. Xavier look extremely physicial. It scares me that IU is not. That is one thing you have to be during the Big Ten season. Dre Thomas can be that way against 6'7", 220 lb centers from UNCW. That is not going to fly against legit players in the BT. I am really bummed out about tonight. That is why I am still up at 2am.

The loss definitely took the wind out of my sails. This actually could be a good thing for me. My marriage was going to suffer when I told Mary that I was going to all of the IU home games. By the way, thanks for the kind words about Chicago. Don't forget to include Marie's Pizza in the grouping of good things to come out of Chicago.

TheCoach said...

why didn't my comment get published? have i been banned? i think crescenet said it all. hasta manana amigo.

Tom Earth said...

Man, that CresceNet must have been drunk when he wrote that. I must have been drunk when I read it because it made sense to me last night.

Anonymous said...

Brad says:

I would have to take a different stance then you Jeff in terms of the effort that IU displayed. Yes there were moments, but overall I thought they played without any heart or fire. I was excited to see the fist pumping and cheering early in the season, but in both games away from home it has been lacking. They looked like they were just out there going through the motions. Welcome back to Davis basketball. If this team wants to have the type of special season we all think we can have, they have to give a damn and not give up when things aren't going their way.

At the 10 minute mark in the second half I had already given up. We have the talent to close the gap, but they had shown me nothing to suggest that they could get it done.

I was also disappointed in the play of Gordon this weekend. In all the reports and write ups about him all they ever talked about was how mature he is, but all I saw was a poutey 18 year old kid. Some of the calls weren't going his way, I'll give him that, but he was just whining about everything. You can not swim past players like you are a defensive lineman and not expect a call. Welcome to college basketball. He is awesome, but he is also only 18.

My rant is over. Let me end with I did think the refs called the game a little one sided against IU, but then again I think that after most game we don't win.

Westlake said...

The Outlaw is not happy and has nothing to comment on at this time!

Anonymous said...

Chris Said:
Missed the game since I was actually in the State of Indiana. I still can't believe the cable operators can't find a way to make money off of Indiana Basketball.

I didn't predict this loss, but I had a feeling that IU was going to run into trouble when they played an actual college basketball team.

The young Hoosiers have been getting away with bad habits against far lesser opponents: poor defense, rebounding, turnovers, 4-around-1 offense. These are bad habits to break as the season goes on.

Standing around and watching Gordon is NOT an offense. They need to go inside-out to use DJ, Dre, and Gordon. Then you need
slashers and rebounding to clean up the glass and earn extra possessions.

Looks like DJ had a decent stat line, but in the other games I have seen, he has not been commanding the ball in the post. He's been looking a little lazy.

All freshmen are going to have their "Welcome to College" moments. They will realize that their superior talent is not enough in college since they will be playing other men with similar skills and more experience.This ain't High School fellas. You're not playing the kid in your math class anymore.

Step up, hit the weight room, drop the ego, and play team ball. Otherwise, you are middle of the Big Ten.

Westlake said...

Well my tears are dry now. The defense was horrible. The refs were from the Atlantic 10 conference and you couldn't see the white out-of-bounds line. This is still no excuse to lose to the X-women! Since the Outlaw is use to riding the Open Range. Im taking Ol'Kelvin on a ride. The Horses name is Gordon! We only have him for 1 year. Give him the ball every time. Ride that Horse to San Antonio!!

Anonymous said...

I actually went to the game and we had phenomenal seats up close since there was almost noone in attendance. The Hoosiers were unbelievably lazy in this game on both ends of the floor. I can't believe that Sampson put up with the overall lack of hussle for 40 minutes. The stars should have been sitting on the bench and the scrubs should have been out on the floor - the outcome obviously would have been no different. The Hoosier offesive game plan reminded me of the innovative Mike Davis scheme with 4 players standing around and Bracey shooting a hopeless 3. Not too effective, although on many possessions Gordon never touched the ball. Sampson didn't even try to get the ball down low to DJ. Obviously the Hoosiers did not execute well, but the lack of intensity and hussle is in my opinion Sampson's fault. He was out coached and trounced by a much weaker team. Painful to witness.