Tuesday, November 27, 2007

IU 83 Georgia Tech 79

What the hell was that? That was a weird game. I don't even know where to start. I guess let's start with two things I definitely didn't expect: (1) Jordan Crawford suspended indefinitely. (2) Mike White is in the game. First, related to Crawford, he is actually suspended for 3 games and will be back for the Kentucky game, even though the ESPN Bottom Line flashed that he is suspended indefinitely about 172 times during the game. I did some quick internet searches, but could not find the exact reason why. Everything simply stated "violation of team rules". So now half of our guards are sitting on the bench in neckties. Then, all of the sudden, I see Mike White enter the game. He was supposed to be redshirted this year, but Sampson just said in the postgame conference that the Xavier game showed him that they needed more maturity and more toughness. As for me, I really like the move. I think it gives us a lot more flexibility with our lineup. Going into the year, depth was supposed to be one of our strengths. However, with Mike White planned to redshirt, Eli Holman and Brandon McGee not yet ready, and Ratliff on suspension, we were only a 7-man rotation. Then, add a Crawford suspension and it would have been a 6-man rotation without Mike White. More on Mike White in the report card. Then, there was the bizarre ups and downs of that game. One minute, I would be really impressed with IU, then the next minute it would look like we were the worst team in the country. Overall Team Performance: C Without losing sight of the fact that they won, it is clear that this team has a lot of holes and a long way to go to be a true Top 10 team in the country. Of course, now that we lost, we dropped to #15, which seems to be more appropriate. And now for the broken record portion of the report card -- our defense sucks. Especially the start of both halves. G-Tech scored 24 points in the first 10 minutes of the game and 15 points in the first 6 minutes of the 2nd half. They also opened the 2nd half with a 7-0 run. This team is giving up way too many easy baskets. IU did manage 83 points, but with only 10 assists. The good news -- players like Jamarcus Ellis and Eric Gordon were converting on their one-on-one moves. Most likely, IU will have a lot of success with one-on-one moves because they have some very talented offensive players. But I still contend that this team is much more dangerous when they either play inside-out, drive and kick, or drive and dish. There was one IU possession that I thought was perfect and the color-man even said that was IU's best possession of the night. Gordon drove the lane and everyone collapsed, he then kicked out to Stemler but it was kind of a lazy pass so the defense responded in time, then Stemler kicked to Bassett, again the defense responded but Bassett drove into the lane to again cause the defense to collapse, Bassett then kicked to Ellis and Ellis knocked down the 3. That is how I envision the IU offense working -- break the D down by driving and then make the extra pass until the high percentage open shot is there. Interestingly, Sampson said in his postgame conference that Gordon has such a soft touch that he would rather EJ just loft it up on the rim rather than throw a 90 mph pass that goes whizzing past DJ's ear. I guess I would have to agree with that since Gordon threw DJ about 4 or 5 Brett Farve type passes right out of bounds. DJ then returned the favor late in the game by rifling one off of Gordon's leg out of bounds. Those two aren't quite on the same page just yet. Gordon was called for palming on his first two touches and then had several bad passes to total what the box score is calling 8 turnovers. And I think that is being generous. DJ added in 4 turnovers, which means our best 2 players combined for 12 turnovers. Not good. So, in this case, I guess I would have to agree with Sampson....if Gordon drives and a big-man steps over to help, still just try to get it up on the rim and a few good things can happen -- Gordon is really good so he might just make it, Gordon is also good at drawing the foul and hitting his FTs, or DJ is in good position for an offensive rebound if he misses. Anything would look better than Gordon whizzing it out of bounds and then DJ putting his hands up to try to catch it a few seconds later. Eric Gordon: C So, we already mentioned the turnovers. Not good. A couple things have happened in the last couple of games. First, after scoring around 30 points in each of his first 3 games, teams quickly realized that they cannot leave him, no matter what. In addition, he is going to draw the other teams best defender. The second thing that happened is that the competition greatly increased. Xavier and Georgia Tech were able to throw defenders at him that could match (or nearly match) his size, strength, speed, and quickness. So, EJ has definitely struggled and been frustrated the last two games, but I can already see him starting to adjust. It seemed that he made an adjustment in the second half tonight. Rather than going full-speed all the way to the basket (which was leading to turnovers in the 1st half), it looked like he was starting to use his first step to get by the defender, but then he was slowing down and using his strength to finish the play. I think he will continue to adjust to the tougher competition and he'll be just fine. For those of you seeing him for the first time tonight, I think you still were able to see some glimpses of what makes him so special. Hell, he still managed 29 points even though he played like shit. But you still got to see the drive to the basket and the (what's quickly becoming his patented) tomahawk jam. And then finally late in the game, you got to see him dribbling at the top of the key and then just drain the 24-footer right in that guy's face. Also, you repeatedly got to see him find a way to get to the basket and either finish or get to the line. The thing that was missing tonight was his passing. In some of the past games, he has also gotten into the lane and made some brilliant passes for easy baskets, but tonight it was turnover city. I think I could go on about Eric Gordon forever, but I'll try to keep it to just two more points. The first is that I thought he was horrible in the 2-3 zone. He was completely flat-footed and all they had to do was throw it to the wing on his side and they had an open 3-pt attempt. I think Sampson needs to ride EJ and challenge him in every facet of the game. He seems to be the type of kid that can handle it and will respond. On offense, they don't seem to run any plays for him. He just comes down and stands outside of the 3-pt line. Eventually, they give it to him and he makes something happen on this own. With a talent like that, shouldn't they be running him off screens and being more creative in the way they get him the ball? And with the way teams are face-guarding him anywhere within 30 feet of the basket, shouldn't the back-door be open? They mentioned tonight that he has 0 offensive rebounds on the year, which doesn't surprise me because the only time he is inside the arc is when he is driving with the ball. D.J. White: B 18 points and 14 rebounds is a monster line and exactly the type of line we would like to see out of DJ. However, I would swear that he left 25 points and 20 rebounds out there on the floor. It just seemed like there were several more rebounds that he should have come down with and his FT shooting was awful tonight. He didn't quite get the 10 FG attempts that I was hoping for, but he did go 6-9 from the floor, so I still think that should be a focal point of many of their half-court trips. 18 & 14 is very nice though. I'm thinking about adding "+" to that B by his name. Nope, not gonna do it. Armon Bassett: B No scoring tonight, but his 6 assists were big. I can think of at least 4 of them that led to 3-point baskets. Did a nice job of driving and kicking. Especially when Ratliff comes back, it will be important for Armon to continue to drive and kick. Armon's defense = it stunk very much bad. Jamarcus Ellis: A Yes sir, he does it all. In the second half, IU got off to another bad start and then things were pretty dicey there for most of the half. At some point, Jamarcus decided he was going to take over and do some scoring and he went on a roll. Unfortunately, he then committed his 4th foul and had to sit out a bit. But I really liked his determination and his fight in the second half. This is the type of guy you could have on your team at the HPER and never lose a game in 30 years. 15 points and 7 rebounds tonight. Amazingly, the 7 rebs will lower his average. Lance Stemler: B+ I'm telling you, if Stemler can hit those open 3s like he did tonight, this team is dangerous. He was 3-6 from the arc tonight and all 3 of them were big -- the first was to blow open IU's biggest lead of the first half, the second was to take back the lead after being down 2 in the second half, and the third was fairly late in what was still a tight game. Unfortunately, Lance was outmatched sometimes on the defensive end, but if that gets to be too big of a problem, that's when you bring in Mike White or Big Dre. I just think that Stemler does enough of the small things (take charges, dive after loose balls, play good help defense) to make a big difference for this team if he can knock down the open looks. His 15 points were big tonight with Crawford suspended and Bassett not scoring much. Mike White: A Sure, a little frustrating that layups are so difficult for a D-1 player, but I have to give Mike White a world of credit. He's been told that he is going to redshirt his senior year. I don't care how much of a "team" guy you are and I respect that you say the right things and act with integrity in the public eye, but this still has to eat at a guy privately. Nobody wants to redshirt, much less their senior year. Then, he is suddenly called on to come in and play his first game of the season in a Big Ten/ACC matchup. And he came in and did his thing. See ball, get ball. I loved it. He was like a human bowling ball in there. He went after rebounds and he went after them aggressively. But I thought the biggest thing was his defense. I know we all love Big Dre, but I thought Mike White was a big upgrade defensively. I think it is a great move to activate good ole "40 Cent". It now gives Sampson a lot more flexibility with how he uses the #4 position. If he wants a low-post offensive threat, it's Big Dre. If he wants a hustler and hopefully someone who will hit the 3, it's Stemler. If he wants toughness and rebounding, it's Mike White. I like it, I like it a lot. Once Crawford and Ratliff's dumb asses come back, then suddenly Sampson will have a deep team to work with. Of course, 3 new additions over the next month or so probably won't help the team cohesiveness that this team is already lacking, but it definitely will be for the good of the team in the long run. My hope is that this team is playing their best basketball in March and I think that is a very real possibility. DeAndre Thomas: Incomplete Only 2 minutes. I think Sampson saw this as a game where they needed Mike White's toughness and I would agree. Big Dre will have his moments, but tonight wasn't his style of ball. Kelvin Sampson: A Although I am not exactly happy where this team is in their development, there were 3 things that I liked out of Sampson: (1) Activated Mike White (2) Suspend Jordan Crawford -- don't know what he did, but it sends a no-nonsense message to the team. (3) Kicked the whole team out of practice on Sunday and made them practice twice on Monday. Sampson wasn't happy with the defensive effort in practice on Sunday, so he kicked them all out of practice. It would appear that Sampson is trying to send his message, I just hope the team responds. Damn, this is way too long. Thank you to all those that read all of this and I will really try to be more brief in the future. Go Hoosiers!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only saw the 2nd half tonight, but am embarrassed to say that I actually witnessed the debacle Sat nite against Xavier in person. The start of the 2nd half against Ga. Tech was reminiscent of the Xavier game. No defense and simply out hussled. DJ getting out rebounded on a free throw and the team collectively not getting back and set on defense for several possessions was absolutely pathetic - I blame the coach for this. Thankfully we managed to turn the tide and gained some momentum largely due to the offensive play of Ellis and key 3-pointers by Stemler. Both Whites were also a factor and DJ overall was tough on the boards (with the exception of that FT). Gordon is simply unstoppable. A nice win indeed. What's the deal with Crawford????

jdhoosier said...

Nice, McDart lives! Not sure what Crawford did, but he is suspended for 3 games and will be back for KY. I like to think of IU's approach to this season is signing some free agents to fill in some gaps -- tonight, we sign Mike White for toughness and rebounding. For Kentucky, we'll recall Jordan Crawford to the majors for some additional scoring. And for the Big Ten, we'll sign AJ Ratliff for defense and 3-pt shooting.

I will say that I am still nervous about this team heading out on the road this Saturday, but you can be assured that I will have more to say about that later this week.

jdhoosier said...

"I know I was trying to force some things tonight," Gordon said. "But I tried to adjust to it and did a lot better in the second half."

Tom Earth said...

You know when IU you needs a big win, you hope ol' Hair-Plugs Hightower is doing the game. I knew the game was in the bag before the tip-off.

I agree with the Mike White move. I am sick of seeing IU defenders getting bowled over down low. Stemler fell victim to it tonight. IU has been getting out hustled and out muscled the past few games. I think 40 cent will add some much needed toughness. As Jeff said in his write-up, getting red-shirted your senior year has to eat at you privately. With that said, that is better than someone eatting at your privates.

I am worried about IU on Saturday. It will be their first true road game. As Mick can probably attest, the crowd at the Sears Centre last weekend was mostly IU fans. That will not be the case at Southern Illinois. IU is going to have their hands full.

jdhoosier said...

Don't worry Tom. I am already working on the Top 5 reasons that IU will beat Southern Illinois on Saturday. Trust me, they will be bullet-proof.

Also, either I am just tired and giddy from the IU win or that "eating at your privates" comment was downright hilarious. Nicely done.

Anonymous said...

I have to laugh about the latest poll question...how did tonight's game make you feel? I am guessing that the somewhat queesy answers are all coming from Dart's! Win or lose I know all us are ready to throw up at the end of the game!

Anonymous said...

BennyP said...

Alrighty...now that I finally watched the Hoosiers for the 1st time this year...I will chime in with some initial thoughts.

1. IU's defense SUCKS.
2. Gordan is the schizzle....true he struggled at first, but making adjustments and finishing with 29 points and some highlight plays is pretty impressive. With that said, I will take Jeff's word that it was a "C" performance. (I'm glad Jeffrey was never one of my coaches!!)
3. Not sure what happened with Crawford, but I think Sampson will be forced to implement a "zero-tolerance" policy based on the current environment and "eye" on the program. Not that zero-tolerance is a bad thing...just hope all the players get it!
4. I forgot how much I like the students wearing the blue shirt/red tie...not to mention Crawford going with the Sampson look as well.

Do you think the IU bookstore cells a Sampson starter kit: blue shirt, red-tie & cell-phone?

Go Hoosiers!

Anonymous said...

Chris Said:

Tom, you're killin me with the Hightower joke. "We had it in the bag before tip-off". Ol Hair plugz seems to be friendly to IU.

Right now the Hoosiers only need to work on 2 minor things: Team Defense and Team Offense. Once they master those 2 minor parts of the game, they will be #1 in the nation.

It was good to see these guys tough one out against a major conference foe. Now they need to learn how to beat a tough Mid-Major in a hostile environment. That's going to be a big step for the freshmen, except EJ. Big Dre had scared eyes last night and that was at home.

Anonymous said...

Chris Said:

I like the blue shirt and red tie thing as well. Did anyone notice the two student who were painted flourscent red? Those dudes were glowing. Imagine passing out in that paint, waking up, and taking that first look at your hungover redness in the mirror...can't be pretty. WTF happened???

jdhoosier said...

Ben, I love the comment that Crawford was buying into the Sampson look with the blue shirt and red tie.

Another observation about Gordon. Even in the face of the toughest defense he has seen to date in the last two games, he still managed 49 points. Even more impressive, he has gone to the line 28 times in the last 2 games and made 25 of them.

And finally, the announcers analogy of Sampson's phone call issue to a 2-year old in time-out that kicks the wall was a bad one. Yes, they are both very frustrating, but I don't think a lot of people were able to see that as two parallel paths. I have small children and I didn't want to hear him talk about his 2-year old and compare it to Sampson's phone calls. The only thing it did was remind me that I could go get Drew out of time-out. I had been sucked into the game and Drew must have been sitting there for a solid 45-50 minutes. So, for that, I thank him for the gripping analogy.

jdhoosier said...

More on Gordon's FTs from IndyStar:

For the season, he is 52-of-62 from the foul line, 83.9 percent.
Sixty-two foul shots in six games?

To put that number in perspective, consider this: In 32 games last year, Rod Wilmont shot 53 foul shots. A.J. Ratliff went to the line 34 times in 30 games. The same was true for Stemler.

Westlake said...

The Outlaw was a little happier with the D, but still very weak! My Boys are official. You probably didn't know this but I'm a big fan of Chipola Jr. College fan! Thats right, Big Dre and The "J" Man!! Those are my guys!! Ellis was great last nite! AJ WHO?

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

Fantastic recap of last night's game...the longer the better in my opinion. It was good to finally see Gordon play. I agree with you he is an exceptional player. If he could come up with a nice pull-up jumper after he gets a step on his man, it would certainly mean less foul shots; however, it would ensure he gets through the entire Big Ten season.

If DJ took it to the rim like him, DJ would make Charles Barkley look like Charlie Brown. If I had the build and ability of DJ, three words would NEVER be used in the same sentence as my name..."fade away jumpshot".

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

I agree with DCMark - bigger is better (in terms of your postgame commentary). Your remarks are impressively accurate and insightful. "Hair-Plugs Hightower" and the blue shirt/red tie comments are also classic. I couldn't agree more with Chris in terms of what this team needs to work on in order to reach their potential. I've only seen the Hoosiers play a few games this season as I only made the switch from cable to DirecTV last week (looking forward to watching the Packers - Cowpokes tomorrow night). My feelings about this team vacillate from being 100% confident that we can beat anyone and be truly dominant this season to thinking we are never going to amount to much with the lack of intensity on D and the inconsistent and apathetic offensive attack. The Hoosiers have the talent - can Sampson get it out of these kids. I think these are coachable kids and Sampson has had previous success so I'm optimistic. I think they'll get the road win this Saturday (less confident about the Pack).

Go Hoosiers!

jdhoosier said...

I'm also still confident that Sampson will get them there defensively. He has a pretty good track record, but I was hoping they would be further along at this point, especially since they had that Bahamas trip. But I'm still confident they will get there. Also, I think Ratliff will help and Mike White will help. And when they have the full team in tact, Sampson has more leeway to use the bench as a motivator. It will be interesting to see how they play on the road on Saturday.

Mick, good call on making the switch to DirecTV. It will be worth it to have the Big Ten Network this year. Unfortunately, unless you got the Sports Pack, you probably don't have ESPNU for Saturday's game, but I think that's the only game on ESPNU this year. You should consider going to Tommy Boy's for Saturday's game. He's not too far and our whole clan is heading to Tom's house for a big Hoosier victory.

TheCoach said...

props to my boy stemler. i give credit where it's due. not impressed with thomas. liked mike white. good to see dj looking more assertive. it will be nice to have ratliff and crawford and have some real depth.