Friday, February 22, 2008

Sampson Era is Over

To recap:

  • Sampson resigns
  • Agrees to $750,000 buyout
  • Agrees not to sue university
  • Dakich will be the interim head coach
  • 6 players skip practice today -- DJ White, Armon Bassett, Jordan Crawford, Jamarcus Ellis, DeAndre Thomas, and Brandon McGhee
  • Key players that attended practice -- Eric Gordon, Lance Stemler, Kyle Taber, Mike White

What's next:

  • Get the players back and on the airplane to play Northwestern tomorrow night. Hopefully, Sampson carries through on the earlier report to talk to the players and urge them to play tomorrow night.
  • This year's team now needs to re-focus and finish what they started, which is a very successful season to this point.
  • Search for a new coach and hire someone that can win and do it the right way.
  • New coach has to re-recruit both current players and incoming recruits.
  • IU still has to respond to NCAA allegations and go through the hearing process.
  • Wait on the final NCAA ruling.

The immediate question is whether the full team will show up tomorrow morning to head to Evanston? I think they will. I understand that they are very upset right now and don't understand why Sampson couldn't be allowed to coach the rest of the year. But now that this appears to be a done deal, the players have absolutely nothing to gain by not playing. They are in a Big Ten title race and would greatly regret throwing that away if they decide not to play tomorrow night and the team would lose to last-place Northwestern. They are also a team that is a threat to go deep in the tournament and they are not going to give that up.

So, I do think the full team will come back together, but you have to wonder if it will be somewhat of a divided locker room? Again, I don't think so. I think today's practice was just a case where these guys didn't feel that they could go practice while their head coach had his neck on the line and the final decision was expected to come at any minute. I can respect that. Well, I should say that I can respect that as long as they show up tomorrow.

As for the Sampson buyout, I know some you think that IU didn't owe him a single penny, but I like the buyout just from the fact that it is the cleanest break possible. There won't be any lawsuits down the road. There will be plenty of things happening with a new coach and the NCAA hearing.

It's unfortunate because I really liked Sampson and think he is a really good coach, but he screwed up and IU's hands were tied. Obviously, the hope is that this year's team can move on and the program and school can get back to the glory years of being the best, like way back when all of us were there.

There's still the question of how could Sampson let this happen? He's a smart guy. He's a good coach. How could he throw it all away on phone calls to recruits? Well, we may never know for sure, but I think I learned the answer today at work. You see, I had some stuff that I really needed to get done today at work, but I could not stop going to each of the 4 internet browsers that I had open to see if anything new had developed. I literally could not stop myself. I would try to get back to work, but then I would hit refresh just one more time and that cycle would repeat itself.

I think it was the same type of addiction or "couldn't help himself" type thing with Sampson. Some of the first words out of his mouth when he got to IU was something like "Indiana University is a place where you win championships". I think he wanted to win a title so bad and he just would get a feeling of "if I can just land this guy….". I really think he simply could not help himself and created an environment where the assistants acted the same way. Who knows.

I guess I'll stop here since this thing has already been beat to death even before anything official was ever announced, but I'd still be interested in hearing everyone else's thoughts. How does this team move forward? Will they be flat? Or will they be motivated? Or will they even show up, literally? Hell, go ahead and speculate about the next coach, that's always fun.

Go Hoosiers!

10 comments:

jdhoosier said...

Why not start looking at coaching candidates. Here's a list from Pat Forde. I agree with him that it does not need to be "one of IU's own". The main reason I agree is because that particular coaching pool stinks. I have to say that I like Forde's list, especially the top choice of Tony Bennett.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3247665&sportCat=ncb

jdhoosier said...

The Hoosier Scoop continues to scoop, including statements from Sampson and Dakich (nothing too interesting) and a quote from McRobbie.

McRobbie said he is very much aware of the disappointment being felt by many
members of the basketball team.

“They have been playing their hearts out on the court in spite of all the
controversy and media attention that has been focused on this issue,” he
said. “I am grateful to each and every one of them for their perseverance
and loyalty to this university.”

The Hoosier Scoop also reported that Damon Bailey was just seen in Assembly Hall. Nobody knows what in the hell Damon is doing there, but there is an open assistant coach spot.

And finally, there is still talk of a press conference tonight. It would seem somewhat pointless after the circus of the last 2 days followed by the official word now coming out before the press conference. What a debacle with the press conference stuff. There should be some job openings in the PR department as well. My lord.

Anonymous said...

Two things I saw as soon as I got home tonight that I liked. First is the buyout. I don't really care that they gave him any money b/c that's nothing new at IU in the last 10 years to see how many coaches can be on the payroll at the same time for the same sport. I'm pretty sure at one time in the not too distant past IU was paying Bob Knight, Mike Davis, Cam Cameron, Gerry DiNardo, and Terry Hoeppner at the same time. I really like the clean break, I won't sue you aspect. No matter how much turmoil was caused the past few weeks, in a few more weeks it will all be over and no concern about him popping up in three months with a lawsuit.

I also liked seeing Forde list Bennet as a top candidate for the job. This guy seems to make perfect sense and I couldn't figure out why none of the national media was listing him.

Why do we have to rehash Alford, Stallings, Wittman, and everyone else that was supposedly up for the job 2 years ago. What have any of those guys done in the past 2 years to think going back to them now is a good idea.

jdhoosier said...

Well said, Sean. I agree on the money thing. They had originally planned to pay him another $500K next year anyway.

Latest rumor is that DJ will speak at the press conference that is supposed to start nowish....but we have been hearing that all day.

jdhoosier said...

There's activity at the press conference.

jdhoosier said...

Greenspan speaks first....he's just recapping how everything happened with the self-reporting....now talking about the agreement reached with Sampson, he's pleased they could reach agreement....confident in Dakich's abilities to lead team....

acknowledged part of the team not present....answering questions about "boycott", he's saying he met with some players last night and most of the players today, he said he acknowledged their feelings and the difficult situation and tried to give them encouragement....avoided talking about whether there is concern about any players quitting or not playing in tomorrow's game....

asked what are the chances that the players will boycott the game tomorrow? Greenspan is saying that anything is possible and he can't speak for the players (not exactly what I wanted to hear right now)....avoiding further questions about the players potential "boycott"....

Lawyer now speaking....not sure what will happen with the NCAA, but IU feels the self-imposed sanctions are fair (sounds like no intention to add additional self-imposed sanctions)....

Greenspan speaking again....assistant coach meyer still with the team....

resignation/settlement was in the best interests of both Sampson and the university, neither party wanted a drawn-out litigation....

asked if he felt betrayed by Sampson after giving him this coaching opportunity, his response is that he feels disappointed for the players and feels horrible for young men like DJ White and everything he has been through in his IU career....also disappointment for the fans and the hit on the program's reputation that the fans are so proud of....

asked about Damon Bailey at Assembly Hall, said he didn't know Damon was there.

Says Dakich is not auditioning, says Dan has an opportunity to make something special happen out of a tough situation.

Asked about communication to recruits, Greenspan is not sure who will contact the recruits....

As for letting recruits out of letter of intents, a couple of the recruits have agreements that they can get out of their LOIs if there is a postseason ban. Sounds like IU would let recruits out if they requested it.....

Greenspan is done and apparently the press conference is done, at least my live feed shut off immediately.

I guess that rumor about DJ appearing was false. That sucks. I was really hoping to hear him say that this team is 100% together even though they are disappointed. I guess we may have to wait until tomorrow for more news about the players.

jdhoosier said...

One thing I didn't catch in the press conference, but the Hoosier Scoop has in their notes is that Greenspan most or all the players are at a walk-through tonight in preparation for tomorrow's game. Let's hope that's true.

Tom Earth said...

Reports say that close to $500,000 of the buyout came from an unknown source. That would be in line with the initial offer of $300K. Someone must have called IU this morning and said they would fund the difference.

I am glad it worked out the way that it did. It could have been a lot uglier. DJ should come out with a statement tomorrow. They will rally around all of this

Anonymous said...

Ben P. wrote:

Some thoughts...
1. The buy-out. I understand why they did it (I guess), I just think it is ridiculous. The logic doesn't make sense (at least to me): Person A does something negative (which is proven) to Person B. In order to protect Person B. from further issues/damage from person A, person B has to pay person A?!?! Should have been a lawyer.
2. Is everything ok with McCallum. I heard reports that he was at Assembly Hall with his wife earlier in the day...the last thing I heard was that he left the office of Greenspan and didn't have anything to say. Was he expecting to be named interim coach??
3. I think that Damon Bailey is a PR move. Dakich is bringing in a high-profile IU guy to help refocus on IU history, glory, purity, etc. DB brings a sense of comfort and recognition to the program in this time of "termoil". Makes sense. Hopefully, IU doesn't try to bring back Alford for the same reasons.
4. I think Bennett would be the PERFECT hire!!
5. Prediction: If for some reason Dakich remains coach next year, he mends some fences and gets Knight to come back one last time as they name the floor: General RMK Court (I didn't say which floor it would be.)

jdhoosier said...

McCallum seems to be fine with everything and as I understand it, this was also a promotion for him because he is now Assistant Head Coach.

Did anyone hear anything more about Damon Bailey in Bloomington? I haven't read anything, but I'm taking a break from the million articles today.