Sunday, March 1, 2009

IU 58 Penn St 61

IU let this one slip away. They had a 4 point lead with 5 minutes to play, but then only scored 1 point in those final 5 minutes and lost.....again. They were able to stay in this game and even grab that late-game lead by taking caring of the basketball, hitting a few 3s, and hitting their FTs. Unfortunately, in the last 5 minutes, they stopped doing all of those things. They had a couple turnovers, missed some important FTs, and had horrible 3-point attempts that missed. In the final 20 or so seconds, IU had two chances to tie this game up, but Matt Roth forced up a couple extremely difficult shots and missed both. It looked like the plays were designed to go to Roth. The only problem is that if he is not open, he is not the type of guy that is going to make an off-balance 3-pointer. I would have rather seen a drive-and-kick type of play. And if you have to just get the ball to someone to force up a 3, I guess I would rather see it go to Dumes. Dumes at least has a little shake were he might be able to get a defender off-balance and possibly still get a decent look. Who knows.....bottom line is that they once again could not find a way to come through in the clutch. And once again, the guys looked devastated afterward. Other than the last few minutes, Verdell Jones was outstanding again. 16 points, 8 assists, and 5 rebounds. Dumes had a good game with 16 points and 4 assists. Pritchard looked good but was in foul trouble due to some horrible calls that went against him. Nick Williams appeared to be playing hard but it certainly didn't translate to the box score with only 4 points and 1 rebound. Tijan Jobe dominated with a 1-1 FG performance. He should have dunked it, but I was still pretty excited to see him score. Cook commented on the previous post and made mention of the time where Tijan fell down on defense. It was one little head fake and Tijan pretty much just fell over. Cook couldn't decide if it was funny or sad. I actually thought it was funny. I love Tijan, but his body just doesn't seem to do what his mind wants it to. FT shooting is a joke in college basketball these days. Penn State allowed IU to hang around by going just 7-17 from the FT line. Next Up: Michigan State on Tuesday at 6pm CT on ESPN.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

cook:

thought i'd just move my post up here:

all right, since i beat JD to the post, i'll get my comments in early. loved jobe's hustle. wish he was decent. i want to like the guy. can't decide if it was sad or funny when he fell on D. i didn't laugh. pritch's 1st 2 and 4th fouls all could have been no calls. that hurt us bad. he actually looked better at times. dumes' foul with 3 secs. on the shot clock was really dumb. verdell is looking better and better!

Anonymous said...

Hopefully, you guys won't disown me when I tell you that I introduced myself to the Pork Chop yesterday at the NCAA tourney games in Portland. Greg and I happened to pass him on the street, so I said, "Congratulations on your win, Mr. Painter," and shook his hand. He was cordial, but redemption came when his grin turned to an 'I smell a fart' - ala Mike Davis - grimace when I pulled up my sweater to show him my IU t-shirt underneath. Another sweet thing was to see Brucie and the not-so-tough Illini go down in person. Go Western KY! If I can't cheer for IU, I'll cheer for the guys beating the enemy. Go Huskies! We'll be there tomorrow to see Purdue lose. :) Sorry, Mr. Painter...