Thursday, March 19, 2009

March Sadness

Here we are, the most exciting time of the college basketball season, right? WRONG! Usually that's right, but not this year and probably not next year. And we have Kelvin the a-hole Sampson to thank for it.
This is the time of year that is supposed to be filled with excitement. The time of year where the worst case for an IU basketball fan is something called "the bubble". The time of year where you hear the name "Indiana" announced and it feels like they just announced your name for winning the Nobel Prize. The time of year where no matter IU's seed, you still get to look at the bracket and fantasize about the possible route to the Final Four and a 6th national title. The time of year where I pick up the phone and call all of you guys because writing about it on a blog just isn't good enough. The time of year where you skip work if IU plays in an early game. The time of year where you look for tickets and tell the wife something like "I don't ask for much. In fact, I'm not askin' now. I'm tellin' you that I just bought a $300 game ticket and a $300 flight to Phoenix to go watch the Hoosiers." Wife asks where you are staying and you respond that you don't know and don't care. That's the time of year this is supposed to be.
But instead, we bowed out of the Big Ten Tourney on Thursday and quietly ended our season.
I received an email from Chris yesterday that simply started out by saying "I'm depressed." Chris then made note of the great times and the wild range of emotion that the NCAA Tourney can bring even when you lose.
The game Chris mentioned was 2 years ago when we lost to UCLA. Does it suck to lose? You bet it does. But at least you had the opportunity to play in the Big Dance. And you got to go through all the things I mentioned above. And you have the 5 days of excitement from Selection Sunday up until your opening round game.
In this UCLA game 2 years ago, it was actually the second round game on Saturday. It turned out to be a wild ride for me and Chris that day. Here's a little recap.
Chris bought a bunch of Irish beers in honor of St. Patrick's Day. I went to the Harrell house and it was just me, Chris, and Shana (it should be noted that Shana left the room just a few minutes into the game due excessive rowdiness by Chris. I was rowdy too, but a wife always blames the husband so I'm going to run with that.) Now keep in mind that we are now well into our 30s and have matured quite a......uh-oh, my backspace key is not working.....that maturity part should be deleted.....read on.
Of course, we cracked open a couple beers and went into full blown analysis of the upcoming game while we waited for it to start. The beers taste extra good when you have March Madness and St. Patrick's Day all rolled into one and they were going down in a hurry. Throughout the night, they continued to go down in a hurry even though it was for very different reasons.
Pre-game and early game, the beers were going down due to March Madness excitement. Most of the 1st half, it was due to depression of how horribly we were playing. Late 1st half and halftime, it was due to the fact that it had gotten so horrible that we just had to get drunk and laugh it off. Early second half, let’s drink away any memory of this game (With less than 14 minutes to go in the game, the score was 34-16. Yes, we had only scored 16 points in the first 26 minutes of an NCAA tourney game. You can see why we were trying to drink away any memory of this one.)
Mid-second half, we were drinking to the fact that we managed to make a couple good plays and hit a couple 3s. In fact, the Hoosiers went on an 11-0 run to make it interesting at 34-27. But then it was back to the bottle when the run faltered and the score was 46-33 with just 5 minutes to play.
But then, Roderick Wilmont and Lance Stemler caught fire from behind the arc and the Hoosiers made an incredible late game run to tie the score at 49-49. By this time, Chris and I are already drunk, so we are jumping around, going crazy, and drinking some more. Unfortunately, the Hoosiers could not pull off the miracle and would end up losing 54-49. Nothing to do now but keep the buzz going and drink away the sorrow.
By the end of the night, the empty beer bottles laying around the Harrell house literally looked like there were 10 or more people over there.
So, even though it was a loss for the Hoosiers and it was a painful one, the whole experience was awesome. All the way from Selection Sunday to the first round win to the wild up and down emotional ride of the loss to UCLA.
I live for the NCAA Tournament. I think it is the best sporting event in all of sport.
But there is just one prerequisite -- the Indiana Hoosiers must be one of the 64 teams in the tournament. Period.
Let's raise our glasses to the idea that the Hoosiers will soon again be a shoe-in for the tournament and we get to live the highs and lows that make the NCAA Tourney true March Madness.

14 comments:

nik said...

In an effort to beat Andy to the punch, hey Jeff, you're an a-hole.

nik said...

Nice photography. I like seeing the Oberon tucked in the bottles! Can't get Belle's down yonder.

jdhoosier said...

Nik - back at ya on the a-hole front.

Not the actual photo from the UCLA game as that night was all Irish beers until Chris and I polished those off and had to raid the back of the fridge for the Schlitz, etc. But I did think that photo was a good representation of the scene.

Anonymous said...

cook:

can i say nik is an a-hole? like the new sponsor! you know i've been into it more than ever. never fear guys, next year will be fun again. i'm saying it will probably be the NIT for one year, but we can always hope for a big dance ticket. atleast that makes it exciting! listening to the General as a type.

Anonymous said...

The site looks great, Jeff. I can now read without getting a migraine. Good choice.
Your sponsor ROCKS! I need to get one of those IU pendants NOW!
Kristin

Unknown said...

No joke. I was all ready to roll with my "hey Jeff, you're an a-hole" comment until I read his prediction. Good call Jeff.

The web site looks great. I just killed half a morning reading all of the articles on the links you have provided. Maybe that's why the economy sucks. Americans are too busy with their blogs to do any work.

Also, loved the Lily Studios tag line "Every Lily Studios pendant is filled with hatred for Purdue. Buy one today!"

Anonymous said...

cook:

no joke, i really wish i could figure out how to get an account so i don't have to be anonymous. any help?

TheCoach said...

this is a test...

TheCoach said...

that actually wasn't so hard. i considered NCHoosier. could always go with Cook or Ryun, but i think i like TheCoach.

jdhoosier said...

Awesome, the begging worked! Thanks for the comments and keep them coming. I've got more big posts planned for the off-season. I love the fact that rock bottom is behind us and we can now move forward and upward with the program.

I know my siblings well -- I told Theresa that Kristin would be looking to get her hands on one of those IU pendants and I obviously nailed my Andy prediction. As for Mick, you might want to check this post again in a couple weeks because that's when Mick will read it and drop a comment.

Cook - I like TheCoach nickname and I'm impressed that you also figured out the picture to go with it. I guess people that live in North Carolina with an IU education are not nearly as dumb as people that were just born and raised in North Carolina.

TheCoach said...

i think that is definitely true. they are very slow down south. i will keep pumping you info. from my end. you know i'm all over the recruiting scene these days.

Anonymous said...

Viki:

Hopefully, you guys won't disown me when I tell you that I introduced myself to the Pork Chop yesterday at the NCAA tourney games in Portland. Greg and I happened to pass him on the street, so I said, "Congratulations on your win, Mr. Painter," and shook his hand. He was cordial, but redemption came when his grin turned to an 'I smell a fart' - ala Mike Davis - grimace when I pulled up my sweater to show him my IU t-shirt underneath. Another sweet thing was to see Brucie and the not-so-tough Illini go down in person. Go Western KY! If I can't cheer for IU, I'll cheer for the guys beating the enemy. Go Huskies! We'll be there tomorrow to see Purdue lose. :) Sorry, Mr. Painter...

jdhoosier said...

Great stuff Viki. I love the "I smell a fart - ala Mike Davis - grimace" part. And I love it that you showed your IU t-shirt. You handled it much better than I would have because I would have punched him right in the face without any warning what-so-ever. Unfortunately, it would not phase him because as we all know, his face is made of dough.

TheCoach said...

i know none of you are probably ND football fans, but check out my blog anyway!

http://wwwndirishfootball.blogspot.com/