Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Out Goes Nick Williams, In Comes David Williams

By now, I am sure you have heard last week's news that Nick Williams is transferring. But before I could even write up a post with my thoughts on the Nick Williams transfer, Tom Crean has already replaced him with David Williams, a 6-7 player out of Florida for the 2010 class. To be honest, I am still digesting this news about David Williams that just broke a few minutes ago. I don't recall hearing this name at all in any of the recruiting circles. There does not seem to be much information on him as he is not a highly rated recruit. I believe Scout has him as a 2-star and Rivals does not have him ranked at all. Some sites have him at 6-7 and some at 6-5. Some sites have him as a wing player and some as a combo guard. Regardless, I think this is a little bit of a surprising move for Tom Crean and staff as it was my understanding that they were trying to hit home runs with the few scholarships they have available over the next few years. I certainly would not see this as a home run by any stretch of the imagination. However, I did just read that David Williams has been flying under the radar and is a fast-rising recruit. Also, one consistency on all sites has been that he is an excellent student with a 3.8 GPA looking to major in Chemistry and go into the medical field. Moving on to the Nick Williams news. I can't say I was completely surprised because there were pretty consistent rumors of this ever since the Malik Story transfer news. Although I wasn't surprised because of the rumors, I was very disappointed. I was a huge Nick Williams fan. While I did not ever see him being the star of the team, I believe I predicted he would be the "glue" to this team. Wrong again. I thought Nick had the attitude that would be willing to work hard and fill whatever role was asked of him even if that was coming off the bench to provide a spark. In addition, I thought he had enough talent to compete for a starting job throughout his career if he worked hard and continued to improve. Apparently, he wanted to be the star and told Crean and staff that he wasn't happy with his role on this year's team and was worried about his role on next year's team. That's the part that surprised me. First of all, how could he not be happy with his role on this year's team? He started almost every game and had every opportunity to be a star. Near the end of the year, Verdell Jones stepped up and became the focal point of the team, but Verdell earned it. And as for his future role, I thought Williams would have been the type willing to compete and earn a starting job or a significant role. Of course, we don't know what was said behind closed doors but I certainly don't think that Crean would be intentionally showing the door to a talent like Nick Williams. So, at the end of the day, if the kid is not happy and wants to transfer, then that is probably what is best for both parties involved. As for David Williams, I am sure we will learn much more over the next 24 hours. Go Hoosiers!

5 comments:

jdhoosier said...

Just learned David Williams is a lefty.

jdhoosier said...

Indy Star article has him at 6-8. Maybe he'll be a 7-footer by morning. Averaged 21 points, 11 rebounds, and 6 assists as a junior. Reported to have grown 2 inches in the last year (and anywhere between 1-3 inches in the last hour).

jdhoosier said...

I forgot to mention that I believe David Williams will be the "glue" to a future Indiana National Title team.

jdhoosier said...

Even he doesn't know how tall he is, Peegs just posted a phone interview with Williams and he referred to himself as "a 6-foot-7, 6-foot-6 wing man, playmaker". Plays for the Atlanta Celtics AAU program that has previously included AJ Moye, Jeff Newton, Dwight Howard, and Josh Smith. IU Assistant Roshown McLeod was previously Williams' AAU coach.

TheCoach said...

This catches me way off guard. Little nervous since I was hoping for 3-4 different guys pretty badly and we'll only have a couple schollys. Will be researching this one!