Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Big Ten Tournament

I had planned on doing a recap of the regular season, but I think I will wait do a full recap once the entire season is over. However, I have added plenty of poll questions for you to ponder as we head into the postseason. Looking ahead to Friday's game, if Penn State wins, we should be prepared since that was our last game. Therefore, we will spend our time looking at our more likely opponent -- Illinois. Or Ill-annoy as Chris likes to call them. Taking a look back at the two Illannoy games….neither were very pretty. But the game at Illannoy was some of the most brutal basketball I have ever seen in my life -- that's when IU had a stretch of scoring only 19 points over 30 minutes. Needless to say, if they play like that, they'll lose. Now the game at the real Assembly Hall was a little better -- still kind of an ugly game, but it was played at a little bit higher level with more points scored. Wilmont and D.J. were solid and Bassett was tough down the stretch. What are the keys to a win on Friday? Here's what I think and I will try to add some measurable numbers. (1) D.J. & Wilmont have to be solid. They don't necessarily have to be spectacular, but they do need to be solid (at least around their averages). (2) IU hitting their 3s. Can't be just one player, need 3-balls from multiple sources. Preferably 8+ as a team from at least 4 players. (3) IU can't go foul crazy. Both teams will play tough D, that's a given. But the key for IU is to do so without fouling. Illannoy needs to shoot less than 18 FTs or IU needs to have within 4 FT attempts of Illinois. (4) Don't let McBride kill you from downtown. 3 or less treys is acceptable. (5) Rebounding -- A wash is acceptable. (6) Turnovers -- A wash is acceptable. So, now that I have typed this out, I think the most important factor and IU's competitive advantage is their 3-point shooting. I think if you contain McBride in this area, you most likely contain Illannoy. And for IU, they have several players that can hit the 3s, they just need to do it. You know that Wilmont and Ratliff will fire away and get their attempts and usually one of them will knock down a few. But when Bassett, Stemler, Calloway, Shaw, and Suhr can hit some 3s, this team really explodes. Obviously, you need D.J. to stay out of foul trouble and be solid, but that is a given. I think the 3-point shooting will be the biggest factor. Prediction Time -- I certainly don't expect another performance like the one against Penn State, but I do expect the Hoosiers to hit enough 3s to carry them to the win. Of course, I just looked up the box scores and found that the Hoosiers only hit 8 treys in the two games combined against Illannoy (5-17 in the win and 3-9 in the loss), so I think Illannoy defends the 3 well. But what the hell, I'm sticking with that as the key factor and the Hoosiers will get 8+ treys from 4 or more different players and will win a tough game 65-61. By the way, if Penn State would pull off the upset over Illannoy, then I like the Hoosiers to win that game 75-64. Go Hoosiers!

7 comments:

jdhoosier said...

In case you are interested in IU's Big Ten Tourney history, I found this in an article:

IU’s record in the Big Ten Tourney has been ... regrettable.

In nine tries the Hoosiers have yet to secure the trophy.

They’ve made it to Sunday’s final round just one time, and Illinois has accounted for four of their nine losses.

Here’s a quick review:


1998: Lost 76-71 to Purdue in the quarterfinals

1999: Lost 82-66 to Illinois in the quarterfinals

2000: Lost 72-69 to Illinois in the quarterfinals

2001: Lost 63-61 to Iowa in the final

2002: Lost 62-60 to Iowa in the semifinals

2003: Lost 73-72 to Illinois in the semifinals

2004: Lost 71-59 to Illinois in the quarterfinals

2005: Lost 71-55 to Minnesota in the quarterfinals

2006: Lost 52-51 to Ohio State in the semifinals

Unknown said...

If the poll question about 10-6 conference record and 20 wins was posed in December I ould have taken it. In fact I posted against on of the old entries saying they would finish 10-6. But tonight when I read the question I immediately chose they should have done better. It's not that I'm not happy with the season and I think they are off to a great start with Sampson, but when looking back at several of the road losses this year I feel they should have been able to win a few of them. Most notably Mich St and Mich.

Also, when looking back at the schedule and results this year one thing that always drove me crazy about the Davis years was the string of losses they would put together, especially in Feb. This year one back to back losses only once (Purdue and Mich).

IU wins Friday as Stemler finds his shot for the first time since Christmas.

TheCoach said...

i just don't like playing illinois in chicago. we can beat anyone when we're on though. have they stopped calling us a bubble team yet? and i'm afraid purdue will be the 5th big ten team in?

TheCoach said...

BTW-I assume everyone is trying to spite me? There is no way the majority think Wilmont is the MVP? Did I miss the question? Is it MVP over the last 2 games?

jdhoosier said...

Last 2 games? Wilmont actually averaged more ppg than D.J. in conference play.

Also, at IU's own Awards banquet, D.J. and Wilmont shared the Outstanding Player of the Year Award.

As for Big Ten honors, the media and the coaches named D.J. to the 2nd Team and Wilmont to the 3rd team. Edge to D.J., but still pretty close.

So, with all these things in mind, I still think it is a worthy question that could go either way.

Again, if you look at who would be missed the most if they were not in the line-up, that's clearly D.J.

But if you actually look at who ADDED more value to the team this year, that would be Wilmont. I honestly can't remember the last time D.J. carried us to a victory.

Cook, to answer your question....No, I am quite certain that people are not voting for Wilmont just to spite you. Tom and I would be the only two that might even consider that, but I actually voted for D.J. (but barely).

As for the bubble talk, most people and sites are saying they're a lock. Even a loss to Illinois would not be a bad loss, so I think they would still be a lock with their solid RPI, sole 3rd place 10-6 finish, and a couple big wins over Wisconsin and Southern Illinois.

Unknown said...

The Hoosiers are a lock. We just need to go in with some momentum. A second round loss in the B10 tourney will hurt our seed and sends us into the tourney with some doubt. I second round win shows that the "road issues" are behind us and we're deserving of a higher seed. Road wins in the Big Ten have been rare for the whole conference. We held serve at home and grabbed the two road wins that everyone else grabbed.

GO IU

Tom Earth said...

Ryun, once a conspiracy theorist, always a conspriacy theorist. I actually voted for Wilmont as the MVP this year. It was a toss up between him and Suhr. They both bring so much energy on both sides of the court. I love those guys.

Truthfully, I did vote for Wilmont but thought heavily about voting for DJ. Selfishly I am happy DJ did not have a monster year. There has been no talk of him going pro as a result of that. I think he and Gordon will bring IU a championship next year (at least a Big Ten one).

I'll be there on Friday to cheer on the Hoosiers. There will be a ton of Illini fans there. Even so, IU will be well represented. IU wins 69-62 with Wilmont having another double-double and DJ getting 20+.