Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Indiana 68 Maryland 80

Son of a bitch!  This game was 61-58 with 5 minutes to go, but then IU allowed a 9-0 run over the next 3 minutes and at 70-58, this ballgame was over.

They so desperately need to find a way to win a game like this.

Thoughts?

UPDATED with GAME NOTES:

• Rivers hurt and taken to the locker room after a spectacular layup and then falling on his back just a couple minutes into the game.


• Hulls – I like that he doesn’t hesitate to shoot, I was afraid he might be the type that you have to beg to shoot. But he has a quick release and isn’t afraid to put it up when he’s open.

• Liked the story about Crean’s 5-minute drill with one 3-point shooter, one rebounder, and one ball and the shooter has to try to make as many 3s possible in 5 mins. Steve Novak has the record with 72. Hulls recently hit 71. You get to pick your rebounder and Hulls picked Jeff Watkinson, the strength coach. I’m not sure what that says about the rest of the team when you pick the strength coach to be your rebounder.

• Hulls – back to back possessions, he tried to take a charge with no call. After the second one, Maryland scored a layup and Ed Hightower blew his whistle and then appeared to come over and lecture Jordan Hulls while he was still laying on the ground. It appeared he was telling him he was too far under the basket, but he was emphatic about it. Very strange. It was also odd that this appeared to be the sole purpose for the whistle which happened to be at the 11:55 mark so it led to a TV timeout. But I don’t think I have ever seen a whistle blown so that the referee can come lecture a player on a rule. Hulls wasn’t even complaining or anything. Only Ed Hightower. Not even the old bald Ed Hightower would have done that. Only the Ed Hightower with hair.

• ESPN just revisited “The Shot”. Man, that was sweet.

• Great no look through the teeth of the defense pass by Hulls to Watford who converts for a traditional 3-point play

• IU 21-20, 10:00, very good start

• Rivers back after being out with the injury for about 8 minutes.

• Watford pulls up from 14 feet and kisses it off the glass. The lost art of the bank shot, gotta love it. IU up 23-20, 8:45

• We are now seeing a version of the lineup that I was wanting to see – Pritchard goes out and Elston comes in for a lineup of Rivers, Jones, Dumes, Watford, and Elston. I completely agree with this lineup because I think it puts our top talent on the floor and I haven’t seen a Maryland big man that is simply overpowering us, so why not go with Elston and Watford without a true center.

• Dumes hits a 3 and IU leads 26-21 with 7:45 to go in half

• IU 28-21 with 6 minutes to go in first half

• Elston struggling with 0-5 on 2 recent offensive trips, including 2 shots that did not hit rim followed by 3 missed putbacks. Of course, he did Moses Malone his offensive rebounding stats with all those misses to himself. If Jobe were in the game instead of Elston, these same two possessions probably would have been 0-1 (Jobe doesn’t rebound) and 1 turnover (Jobe has bad hands). Nonetheless, it would still be 0 points on these two possessions. I love Jobe, I just want to see him shatter a backboard.

• IU still leads 28-21 with 5 minutes to go in the first half. Knowing what happens at the end of the game, I just calculated that IU will get outscored 49-30 over the next 22 minutes of the game. The next 19 minutes will be somewhat even with Maryland having a 40-30 advantage before the deadly 9-0 run over 3 minutes starting with 5 minutes to go in the game. I may have to analyze possession-by-possession what went wrong in those 3 minutes. We’ll see how late it is when I get to that point.

• Wow! Jeremiah Rivers just had an INCREDIBLE 5-second stretch. At the 2:14 mark, he had a sweet left-handed swat out of bounds on a Maryland fast break, then he stole the inbounds at the 2:12 mark, and then went flying down the floor dribbling with his left hand and outrunning the defender to go in for the left-handed DUNK at the 2:09 mark. We want more, Jeremiah, we want more! That was awesome. IU up 33-30 and the white out crowd is LOUD!

• Now Jeremiah just threw up an airball from 16 feet. Just drive and dunk over everyone, Jeremiah. I would like to say that I officially forgive the airball because that block, steal, dunk sequence was as exciting of a sequence since Eric Gordon donned the cream and crimson.

• Unfortunately, the Hoosiers give up a 5-0 run to be losing at half 35-33. Outside of the Rivers sequence, IU really stunk up the joint in the final 5 minutes of the half.

• Yikes, they just flashed a stat at the start of the 2nd half – in the last 7:45 of the 1st half, IU missed 14 of 16 shots and had 5 turnovers. No wonder their 7 point lead turned into a 2-point halftime deficit.

• Since I mentioned Elston’s putback struggles earlier, I feel obligated the mention the very nice offensive rebound and putback he just had. Md up 37-35 with 17:00 to go.

• So, I have been watching the defense very closely and rewinding anytime IU gives up easy baskets and it is the switching that is killing them in tonight’s game. In previous games, I think the biggest factor was not stopping the dribble, which resulted in bigs having to help and then the whole defense breaking down. Tonight, they are miscommunicating or someone is just making the wrong read on switches. It’s hard to tell who is wrong on these, but to this point in the game, I have seen Creek and Elston involved in 3 of these switching problems. I also noticed Pritchard, Watford, Rivers, and Jones one time each.

• In a very weird way, it might be a good thing that we are starting to be able to actually identify the defensive problems. In the first 5 games, the defense was so bad that I couldn’t tell what the hell they were thinking or even trying to do even if I would rewind it and watch it over. So, maybe it’s a sign that they are improving that you can actually see where the breakdown occurred.

• Verdell Jones shots just don’t seem to be falling. Man, we need those shots in a game like this.

• Maryland up 41-35 at first TV timeout of second half. That’s a 20-7 run going back to the first half. Maybe the last 5 minutes of the first half and the first 4 minutes of the second half is where IU truly lost this game.

• Christian Watford just drained a fade-away 15-foot bank shot in the face of a double-team. That’s what I am talking about. If he has that shot in the bag, use it! Especially until he gets stronger and can take it harder to the rack. That was his second shot of the night that has made my jaw drop. I’m a sucka for the bank shot. Glad to see Watford playing well against good competition.

• Watford with a nice swat at the other end.

• Elston airballs a 3. That’s his 3rd shot of the night without any iron.

• Daniel Moore with a nice pass to Verdell Jones who drains the 15-footer. That update was solely for TheCoach since I know he is a big fan of both players. Md 43-39 with 14:30 to go.

• Whoa, another Watford swat leads to Jones to Moore this time and Moore hits the layup with the foul! That update was NOT for TheCoach, that was just damn exciting. The crowd is going nuts as Moore is at the line with a chance to cut the lead to 1…..and the little fucker missed it. That’s ok, just d-up now and keep this momentum going! (Editor’s Note – Just because I know the outcome of the game, this is not fake enthusiasm. I am seriously fired up right now. I guess I better vote “delusional” on the poll question.

• On big momentum plays, especially ones that are traditional 3-point play opportunities because you have the whistle at the end to stop play, I always like to rewind and see the reactions of the players. The obvious reason is just to see the team pumped up when things are going well and they just had a big play. But it also tells me if the players are in this thing as a team and not just caring about their own numbers, etc. On this play, you could see 3 players besides Moore and Elston, Jones, and Watford all gave a fist pump on the basket. On another angle, you could see the bench and Creek and Pritchard were both up off the bench cheering. Good to see. Maybe I will vote “hopeful” on the poll question.

• Do you think IU would use a Tom Earth big head if I sent them one?

• Assignment: Healy, any Healy, can you do some research online to see where you get big heads made?

• Man, Dumes not hitting either. If Jones and Dumes were making shots that they are capable of making, the Hoosiers could have a nice lead right now.

• Creek jumper ties it at 43 with 13:30 to go, IU on 6-0 run.

• Ugh….we saw good Jeremiah earlier and now we see bad Jeremiah. With a chance to take the lead, Rivers tried to throw a lob to Pritchard but instead hurled it off the rim or backboard for a turnover. Then, after a Maryland basket, Rivers drives the lane and wings a pass in the general direction of Tom Crean. Two costly turnovers after IU had just tied the game.

• There’s a nothing but the absolute bottom of the net 3 by Dumes. Md 47-46, 12:15.

• My TV sucks so bad that they just flashed Dumes’ FG shooting and I can’t read it. Going to bestbuy.com, click, click, cc#, and click. New TV is on its way…..I wish.

• They just showed Fuzzy Zoeller. If Gavin is at this game, it is a guarantee that he’s stalking Fuzzy.

• Creek for 3 to give IU the lead at 49-48 with 11:30 to go. Double-figures again for Creek.

• Ooh, I like that….Maryland running on a fast break and Pritchard does not just give up the dunk. Instead, he gave a hard, but clean foul. If we are going to have guys with the size of Jobe and Muniru, there should be a rule that there will be no dunks by the opposing team while they are in the game.

• Tied at 54 with 8:45 to go.

• Rivers misses front end of 1-1 but gets his own rebound, only to see Elston get fouled and he misses the front-end. You just can’t come out of a possession like that with 0 points.

• Now a 5-0 run by Maryland and as Chris has already mentioned in the Comments, Creek and Watford are sitting at the scorers table while Crean is waiting for the TV timeout. I’ve already gone on record saying that I think Crean needs to use his timeouts whenever the moment calls for it. If you have to play-on at the end, so be it, but don’t let a game get away because you are saving your timeouts or waiting for a TV timeout. Foolishness.

• Just to further point out how young and how big of a rebuilding effort this is, we now get Creek and Watford back into the game, but suddenly you look out on the floor and your lineup includes 3 freshmen and a walk-on sophomore.
And here’s how we lost the game…..

• Let’s set the stage, it’s Maryland’s lead with a score of 61-58 with 5:12 to go after 2 made FTs by Dumes. IU now has Rivers, Creek, Jones, Watford, and Pritchard in the game.

• MD possession: Daniel Moore overplays the passing lane and gets beat on a cut into the lane for an easy 8-footer for Maryland. Md 63-58, 4:55.

• IU possession: Dumes shoots a 3 that barely touches iron, Md rebound, Creek fouls.

• MD possession: misses front-end of 1-1, but offensive rebound. Rivers gets beat back-door for an easy Maryland layup. The concerning thing here was that the Maryland play was designed to back-screen Rivers and the screen wasn’t even set and Rivers still got beat horribly. Md 65-58, 4:15.

• IU possession: IU timeout. After timeout, Jones travels. TV timeout.

• MD possession: IU plays good defense, Maryland forces up a 3 late in shot-clock and misses. IU rebounds.

• IU possession: Creek goes aggressively to the basket on fast break, Maryland player attempts to take charge and there is clearly contact as Creek wildly throws it off the glass. Ed Hightower is literally on top of the play and no call. It was not a flop, there was clearly contact and Creek ran the guy over, the only question was whether it was a charge or a block. But it can’t be a no-call and I do think it should have been a block and Creek heading to the FT line. I remember when Ed used to like IU (read as “was scared of Bob Knight”). Maryland retrieves loose ball and calls timeout.

• Interesting and depressing stat from ESPN during the timeout – IU had 11 seasons with 10 or more losses in 29 seasons under Bob Knight. They have had 8 seasons with 10 or more losses in the 9 seasons since his departure. I’ll go ahead and go out on a branch as thick as my house and say that will be 9 out of the last 10 seasons after this season is all said and done, or should I say after December is all said and done. This seems like an ideal spot for my “I fucking hate Kelvin Sampson” quote.

• MD possession: Watford gets posted-up, a nice jump hook by Millbourne. Not a whole lot IU could do on that one. Md 67-58, 2:47.

• IU possession: Creek misses a 3. Good look, but he couldn’t get it to go down. This was followed by a funny-if-u-r-not-an-IU-fan moment where Watford, Pritchard, and Jones all fell over themselves into a heap.

• MD possession: This time, a variation on the play that Rivers just got beat on. Watford is guarding the wing and Maryland sets a back screen. The Maryland wing players does a great job reading the screen and cuts high into the lane rather than going behind the screen baseline (like they did against Rivers). Watford got picked off by the back-screen, Pritchard attempted to help late and fouled the guy and he scored. FT good and that’s your dagger. Md 70-58, 2:08.

So, looking at that stretch in summary, the defense just isn’t where it needs to be right now. This team has shown signs of improvements since Puerto Rico, but I certainly don’t expect them to pull off any upsets in the next two games.

Well, I think I will finish this post with the way I started it....Son of a Bitch.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris Writes:
First Half was good. Both teams missed opportunities and had untimely turnovers which kept it evenly matched. IU had great intensity. Overall we missed too many bunnies and put backs. Maybe that comes with more body strength for these youngsters.

I put that 9-0 run on Crean. Around the 7:30 mark he was waiting for the TV timeout, but I think Watford and Creek were at the scoring table. He should have called the TO and got those guys in the game. I don't remember exactly who was in the game, but I'm thinkig Rivers, Hulls, Pritch, Elston and someone else. Anyway, it was a mismatched lineup with no scoring ability. He should have got a time out when they got down by 4 and put his scorers back in for the stretch. Also, the defense needs to be able to get a stop in the 2nd half and Rivers needs to stop turning the ball over. The guy gets out of control.

I really think they had a shot to steal this game. It was winnable.

Anonymous said...

Chris:
By the way, I'm both pissed off and hopeful on the poll.
This was a winnable game.

Creek and Watford are the real deal. I think they can be better than DJ White.
Elston was a little shaky.
Hulls pretty good. Thought the O was better when he was at point.
Rivers had flashes, but too out of control.
Pritch better start rebounding. He could be a Jared Odle type but not much more.
Dumes had some nice 3's.

jdhoosier said...

Great comments Chris and I completely agree. I am just finishing up my replay on the game and will have a full set of game notes posted shortly.

As for the poll question, all of those responses came to my mind to include them because I am feeling all of them right now.

Overall, I thought IU played well tonight and this was yet another example of my worst fear -- close game with 5 minutes to go and another loss. They couldn't even compete down the stretch after playing pretty good for 33-35 minutes. Definitely frustrating and disappointing. And I don't disagree that a good portion of this goes on Crean. Yes, it's an extremely young team and an extraordinary rebuilding effort, but at some point, you have to find a way to win a meaningful game.

Anonymous said...

Chris:
Yeah, I'm not too disappointed because they competed. I hate to grant moral victories, but I think we're seeing progress.

TC should have used a T.O. before the lead stretched. He didn't have the right guys on the floor. They were looking around.
Maybe next time....

shealy said...

Potential Tom Earth head cut out: http://www.partystandups.com/catalog/custom-cutouts-standup-feet-tall-p-80.html

I'll keep looking.

TheCoach said...

sad truth is that we're just going to have to wait atleast another year to be even pretty good. we have some talent, but it needs chemistry and experience. i still say playing 11 or whatever hurts that chemistry. shot selection is still bad. dumes! ugh. still don't like jones decision making. elston had a rough game, but i'm with JD on the lineup. creek and watford will be fun next year. hope they stay for all 4!

jdhoosier said...

Good work Healy. I think I would definitely have to go with the 8-ft tall one with the optional speech bubble. It will be costly, but it's time to take the big heads to the next level. My only fear is that it would spook Cerrano and he would beat the crap out of it.

Coach - you're definitely right on waiting another year for experience and chemistry. I wish Jones and Pritchard were showing me more in their sophomore seasons right now, but I do still think the experience and chemistry is important. Just knowing your teammates and having chemistry should cut down on the turnovers (pass one way, but other player cuts another way) and it should also cut down on the defensive lapses like all the switching problems we saw in this game.

Anonymous said...

Gavin Said:
I saw the Fuzz down on the court on the way to my seats before the game.
Is standing behind some one sitting down at courtside smeeling and running your fingers through their hair technically "stalking".
Appearently the law enforcement community in Bloomington thinks so.

Now on to the game:
I fucking hate Kelvin Sampson! I mean drive to Milwaukee in a diaper with a pair of panty hose on my head hate that ASSHOLE!
However, I don't thing Rick Greenspan gets enough credit for burning down the "House that Knight Built".
I cannot believe that we have to endure another year of this shit just because 2 fucking assholes decided THEY were bigger than the program.
This is so dissapointing that I cannot even tell you how much it kills me to watch this crap!
So I am the one who answered the poll question pissed off. Not at this team or the current administration, but at the total lack the prior AD and head coach showed for the trdition and honor of the university and our program.

I feel bad for these kids, they seem to want to win and they say the right things, but it is obvious that you cannot put a group of kids on the floor that has only played on the same team for 2 months and expect them to compete.

I thought the game was lost at the 16:27 mark in the second half when for no appeaent reason our line up was Jordan Hulls, Daniel Moore, Tijan Jobe, Derek Elston, and Dumas.
I mean wtf Tom! We are solidly in the game we've just come out of half time and we have the most obsurd lineup imaginable in the game. Tara looked over at me and asked if he was trying to spot Md 10 point to make the game more interesting.
With that said, I still go into every game thinking we can win and damn it every time I do, this team plays hard for 25-35 minutes and breaks my heart. So maybe I should have answered the poll question delusional.

I will conclude with I hate Kelvin Samposon and Rick Greenspan!

Anonymous said...

Gavin Said:
I saw the Fuzz down on the court on the way to my seats before the game.
Is standing behind some one sitting down at courtside smeeling and running your fingers through their hair technically "stalking".
Appearently the law enforcement community in Bloomington thinks so.

Now on to the game:
I fucking hate Kelvin Sampson! I mean drive to Milwaukee in a diaper with a pair of panty hose on my head hate that ASSHOLE!
However, I don't thing Rick Greenspan gets enough credit for burning down the "House that Knight Built".
I cannot believe that we have to endure another year of this shit just because 2 fucking assholes decided THEY were bigger than the program.
This is so dissapointing that I cannot even tell you how much it kills me to watch this crap!
So I am the one who answered the poll question pissed off. Not at this team or the current administration, but at the total lack the prior AD and head coach showed for the trdition and honor of the university and our program.

I feel bad for these kids, they seem to want to win and they say the right things, but it is obvious that you cannot put a group of kids on the floor that has only played on the same team for 2 months and expect them to compete.

I thought the game was lost at the 16:27 mark in the second half when for no appeaent reason our line up was Jordan Hulls, Daniel Moore, Tijan Jobe, Derek Elston, and Dumas.
I mean wtf Tom! We are solidly in the game we've just come out of half time and we have the most obsurd lineup imaginable in the game. Tara looked over at me and asked if he was trying to spot Md 10 point to make the game more interesting.
With that said, I still go into every game thinking we can win and damn it every time I do, this team plays hard for 25-35 minutes and breaks my heart. So maybe I should have answered the poll question delusional.

I will conclude with I hate Kelvin Samposon and Rick Greenspan!

jdhoosier said...

Great comments, Gav. I immediately thought of you when I saw Fuzzy on TV.

Sticking to golf references, I was going to try to find a way to weave in something like "Devan Dumes drives in the lane like Tiger Woods drives in his own driveway -- out of control!" But I thought it was pretty weak, so I didn't mention it until now....buried in the comments.

Tom Earth said...

Thank you for the big head reference. The great thing is that I actually have a big head. I don't think you would have to enlarge it.

I was at the Blackhawks game so I DVR'd the game. I knew that I would be sheltered at the game and would not hear the score. On my way home, my boss text me and said "Sorry about IU." The rest of the ride home I was pissed because they lost and pissed because I didn't have the excitement of not knowing the outcome.

I skipped through most of the game. I saw the Rivers dunk and and couple of the other key plays. I was at the NW St. game and had some observations from that. The game of basketball has really changed. As talented as some of the young guys are, they still have that AAU mentality of "I'm going to try to get my points and not worry about defense." Creek and Watford both pulled up 1 on 3 during the NW ST. and missed shots. I agree with The Coach that the chemistry is not there yet. That goes for both the offense and defense.

Hopefully the weekend off will do them good.

jdhoosier said...

Tommy Boy,

Even with the great invention of the DVR, I'm not sure about recording an IU basketball game because you're at a hockey game. Hockey sucks. Of course, I rarely watch a game live because I become the world's worst father when trying to watch a game with the kids around -- I usually try to completely ignore them, which is an enterirly ineffective strategy against young children. Those little bastards are relentless. So that usually leads to me yelling at them. Not good.

So, I guess I understand recording the game for whatever reason so that you can watch it later at night in peace. Also, impressive that you made the road trip for the NW St game, but don't let that compliment give you a big head.

Unknown said...

LOVED the reference about Daniel Moore as "the little fucker"? So damn funny and it fits perfectly! Actually, I think from now on he should be referred to as "little fucker". Note: not "the" little fucker. Just "little fucker". There is a significant difference, in my opinion. If we end up winning a Big Ten championship AND he is still on the roster AND he actually contributes; THEN he can be referred to as "THE little fucker". Until then, he is simply "little fucker" to me.

Now, about the game: I realize I am going against the crowd here but I was actually a little encouraged. The talent is so much better this year and we actually have the ability to compete this year. We just don't have any clue how to win yet. Very frustrating, but it is the sad truth. I think we are going to compete in a lot more games this year only to fade with 5 minutes to go or less.

Anyway, long live "little fucker". I REALLY like that. Picture the chant: "little, fucker" clap-clap, clap-clap-clap, "little, fucker" clap-clap, clap-clap-clap!!!

Lastly, sorry about all the uses of the word "fucker". It truly is one of the BEST words in the English language but I hate to pollute the best IU blog out there with such foul language. If JD ever takes this thing global, I will clean up my language. Until then: long live "little fucker"!!!!!!!

jdhoosier said...

Hey "tall fucker", thanks for the comments.

As for "little fucker", consider it done. The name Daniel Moore no longer exists from this point forward.

I think "little fucker" is a term of endearment. It acknowledges his scrappy play and the fact that he annoys the other team, which is a good thing.

By the way, due to the free speech policy on the blog this year, I have been forced to now have the comments emailed to my home email instead of work. If I am going to get fired for my passion for IU basketball, I at least want it to be during a winning season.