Friday, December 11, 2009

More Thoughts on the Pitt Victory and A Look Ahead to Kentucky

Additional thoughts on the big victory against Pitt:

* Not only did we beat Pitt, but we kicked their ass.

* IU played tough, aggressively went after loose balls and rebounds, and most importantly, they secured them.  In that regard, they looked like a whole different team from what we had seen earlier in the year

* Devan Dumes played great.  You didn't really see his name mentioned in the post-game articles, but Dumes was outstanding -- he didn't force anything on offense, he made IU's only 3-pointer, he played great defense, and did a good job on the boards.  Verdell Jones also credited Dumes after the game by saying that Dumes was the one that was making sure everyone stayed focused on defense even after they got the big lead.  I'm not surprised that the first big win comes on a night where Jones and Dumes had their best games of the year.  The returning players need to continue to do more, which will allow the freshmen to play within the game and not feel like they have to force things or carry the team.

* Pritchard scored IU's first 6 points and then did not score again.  This game, he really got screwed by the refs with the fouls.  Even with the foul trouble, it was great to see Pritchard look alive in those first few minutes.  He looks to be on the verge.

* The great thing was that IU won this game by double-digits and they still had plenty of areas that could have been a lot better -- they only made one 3-pointer, Creek had his first single-digit scoring night (but a career-high 8 rebounds), Watford was 3-12 from the field (but 12-15 from the line), and Pritchard was in foul trouble.  Also, Rivers was nowhere near 100% healthy.

* Jim Harbaugh (aka Captain Comeback) must deliver one helluva halftime speech.

* IU had 10 blocked shots including 3 from Watford who looked considerably more active on defense.  Verdell also had 3 rejections.

* Let's face it, the 2-3 zone is being used because IU is still struggling with their man-to-man defense, but it was a pretty impressive 2-3.

* Most of the year, IU has had a couple players play well each game and a few players that would look terrible.  In this game, everyone that played made contributions and played pretty well.  They resembled a team, a competitive college basketball team, a winning college basketball team.  It sure was fun to watch.

* Now, I sort of wish we could skip the Kentucky game and just play the 3 cupcakes that we have coming up on the schedule so we could ride this momentum into the Big Ten season.

With that thought, we'll go ahead and transition into Saturday morning's Kentucky game.

* I sincerely hope that John Calipari is to Kentucky as Kelvin Sampson was to Indiana.

* Continuing with that thought, there are a lot of parallels.  IU hired Sampson to replace an unpopular underperforming coach, but they did so knowing that he had some NCAA issues in his recent past.  Kentucky hired Calipari to replace an unpopular underperforming coach, but they did so knowing that his two previous final four appearances have been stripped due to NCAA issues.  For a majority of both fan bases, winning helped get the fans to overlook these looming issues.  I just hope it unravels for Calipari and Kentucky even faster than it did for Sampson and Indiana.

* Even though Calipari is a sleezeball, he is one hell of a coach.

* Kentucky's freshman point guard John Wall is insanely good.  Jim Calhoun just said he is every bit as good as Derrick Rose.

* Kentucky is off to an impressive start with wins over North Carolina and UConn as well as surviving some other scares in close games.  John Wall has delivered game-winners or game-winning plays in the final minute in a few of their wins already.

* Kentucky is loaded.  John Wall is getting all the attention (and rightfully so), but Patrick Patterson is a damn good player and the Wildcats also have freshmen Eric Bledsoe and DeMarcus Cousins who are also playing at a high level.

* Cousins had previously committed to Mike Davis at UAB, but ended up decommitting and going to Kentucky.  Still getting burned by Mike Davis....unbelievable.

* (removed due to a poor attempt at humor)

* I'd feel slightly better about this game if Jeremiah Rivers was healthy and could make John Wall work.

Now for the prediction.  Unfortunately, even off the heels of IU's inspired victory over Pitt, this Kentucky team is simply more talented than IU.  Kentucky wins 79-67.  I'll also predict tht Kentucky goes to the final four this year.  They will lose in the final four, but that won't really matter since the final four appearance will be stripped after Calipari gets nailed for illegal recruiting tactics.  (removed due to bad language).

Update:  Greetings Kentucky fans.  Based on some unexpected traffic to this post and some comments posted today, I felt the need to update the post and provide an explanation.

I'll start by saying this is a small blog that has maybe 15-20 loyal followers.  While the blog is open to the public, there has never been any commentary from opposing schools in the many years of doing this.  With that in mind, this is a fan's blog where I provide strong and over-the-top opinions amongst Hoosier fans. 

I can assure you that any comments by me are intended to be in the spirit of good rivalry and/or humorous (even if off-target).  They are certainly not intended to be mean-spirited or malicious.  With that in mind, I have removed the one comment that was a bad attempt at humor and I have removed the closing remark that admittedly crossed the line (especially now that I know that this post has been linked on a Kentucky blog).

Had I known there would be traffic from Kentucky fans, I would have taken a different direction as I would truly enjoy some discussion on the rivalry and the current state of our two teams.

I did leave the comments related to Calipari as I do think it is a risky hire and I think the topic can lead to some interesting discussion.  Also, the poll question wouldn't make much sense if I removed those comments.  I can see that the UK fans think that line of thinking on Calipari is based in jealousy.  While I will admit to a certain level of jealousy based on where these two programs are right now, I do still think it is a risky hire based on what happened under Calipari's watch at both UMass and Memphis.  The IU program was destroyed by a guy who made too many phone calls.  But if Calipari stays clean, then I think IU fans will have to get used to seeing Kentucky in the Top 5.

I certainly understand if UK fans found my remarks offensive or ignorant.  The intention was not to direct those remarks directly in the face of Kentucky fans, but rather to try to have a little fun amongst IU fans especially during this time where there has not been a lot of fun on the court.

I look forward to IU's rebuilding effort so that the Indiana/Kentucky rivalry can get back to being a great rivalry with competitive games year in and year out.  Enjoy the game.

17 comments:

Tom Earth said...

Could not agree more about Dumes. He played terrific. I think he will have his best games when you do NOT hear his name called. Earlier in the year, you heard his name for stupid fouls or key turnovers. This team really came together on Tuesday. Sean and I were emailing back and forth during the game. We were just waiting for the Pitt run. When they cut it to 6, I had flashbacks to that Minnesota game about 10 years ago when IU blew a big lead at the end of the game. I can't remember all of the details. I just remember it wad really bad.

Looking forward to see how they match up Saturday against one of the elite teams in the country. I hope they can keep it close.

Unknown said...

You hope he is corrupt? You hope UK is corrupt? What a sad view of the world. Why not hope everyone does well and let the COLLEGE KIDS play hard and give the fans a good game. I'm an IU fan, but this is ridiculous. I hope you are a young person, because otherwise, you have serious issues. Go to church (or something), try to learn what is important in life, and maybe you'll figure it out...

Anonymous said...

Well I hope an airliner crashes into the practice facilty at IU, and kills you, the team, the president, the dean in a fukn ball of flames!!!!!!! Suck on that you demented, sociopathic, asshole!!

Unknown said...

Anonymous, do you really want to stoop to his level. What is wrong with people??? You are clearly a UK fan that is rightly offended by these comments, but be the bigger person, or you too have issues...

Anonymous said...

I LIKE MB COMMENTS I THOUGHT SPORTS WAS ABOUT SHOWING SPORTSMANSHIP

Anonymous said...

MB...you are of course right on this one! I'm just wondering what kind of "total" idiot post this Horses__t! Where'd yall find this guy, he borders on unstable at best! His venomous, uneducated, sociopathic diatribe has no place in the world of collegiate athletics.....I would never truly wish ill upon any opponent, though there are several programs, I'd love to take to the woodshed! ie: UNC, Duke, UofL, UT. Honestly IU isn't on my radar screen, I wish them well, as I do everyone. Let's decide these matters on the hardwood, instead of useless drivel from the mouth of some punk!!....Signed: Anonymous

Unknown said...

I'm glad you feel that way. All the big programs have people that feel the same as JDHOOSIER (meaning take an unhealthy disdain for other programs). But, on the other hand, it is great to have a healthy competitive dislike for rivals. If teams we love always beat the rivals, they wouldn't exist, and then college basketball wouldn't be the incredible sport it is. I love the anticipation of a big game, but know they can't all be won. But the games are so exciting -- as opposed to the boring NBA. All that said, I'm looking forward the IU/UK game returning to the annual event it used to be, and I have a feeling both programs are headed that way -- another reason to hope both programs are and will remain clean!!

Anonymous said...

MB ~Touche my friend! Best of luck to you and the Hoosiers on Saturday, you'll probably need it...lol..(had to) The Cats are not unbeatable at this point, though they are very, very talented. I hope in the next yr. or 2 Crean can take you guys back to the top. "Real" rivalry games are what make it fun to be a part of!

Tom Earth said...

Looks like jdhoosier has made it big time. He a couple of "outsiders" weighing in. And to think this blog was started to keep college buddies in contact to talk about IU. I can actually say I knew you when. Keep taking your medication. See ya tomorrow.

jdhoosier said...

This post was not meant to be malicious, just trying to have a little fun. Please see the updates that have been made within the original post. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Chris Writes:
I thought this blog was supposed to be a one-sided, over the top spot that contains unedited blow-ups among some pretty good writing and humor.
I also thought it was private. I don't participate on Rivals but if I did, I'd keep it clean and keep it to basketball. That would not be the place for a lunatic rant.

However, I don't see what's wrong with dispising Kentucky Basketball. They'be got 2 more crowns than IU and they are in good shape. Jealosy isn't the reason for going after UK. We've got plenty to be proud of and are quickly building in the right direction.

Here's the driver...Calipari...where there is smoke there is fire. I didnt trust him at UMASS or Memphis and that carries over to UK. He is polarizing. (John Cheney wanted to kill him!) I would not be surprised at all if he gets Big Blue in a heap of trouble. I just want him to get caught and be personally held accountable. How is it that at both schools he's beeen at, they've had records erased yet he skates? It would seem he's the common denominator. I find it highly unlikely that this coach, a control freak like all coaches, would be above it all. That is my axe to grind. He bolts Memphis, leaves a stink on that school, takes their recruits and lands comfortably in soft bluegrass. If it costs you your program then you certainly knew what you were getting into. You can find hundreds of rants just like this from OU fans who told IU fans they were getting a snake.

Anonymous said...

Chris Writes:
John Wall is ridiculously talented and he looks like a good sport. I watched the UCONN game and was really impressed. He's next level. Just from the one game I've seen, he looks like a real professional. Workman-like and didn't see and trash talk or posturing. Rare.

That aside, I was having a nightmare scenario run through my mind.
Who would you root for if Kentucky and Purdue squared off in the NCAA Championship? (No wuss out. You must choose one.)
I would hate that game.
UK would then be 8 championships, thus putting some distance on IU (5). PU...they would have the more recent championship..their only. It would kill the IU arguement ender with Pukes.(5 to nothin').
I have to go with Kentucky and then have Calipari arrested that night for Tax Evasion. Its the only way to get him!

jdhoosier said...

Chris - Kentucky vs. Purdue in the NCAA title game....if forced to answer, I say Kentucky. The Purdue=0 is too important.

shealy said...

I'll go with Kentucky over Purdue. I'd rather have to chase 8 titles to keep pace with KY then see Purdue with 1.

Having read the original post and enjoyed its humor as always I don't feel it crossed any lines. You can go to nearly any blog or online newspaper that solicits comments on editorials and find ramblings 10 times worse than anything jdhoosier posts.

Of course it's highly possible that existence of the internet may have only recently become common knowledge in the state to our south so they are not accustomed to this type of freedom of expression. They may be equally appalled that truth of family lineage in KY is not the closely held secret they believed it to be.

That said, I wish I had a better feeling about tomorrow's game. I expect Assembly Hall to be rocking and the team to be jacked up after major win this week. I hope they can sustain the momentum for the half or more, but eventually the lack of experience and depth is going to catch up to them. But a strong showing against a top 5 team, and winning 4 out of 5 will be a nice way to close out the holiday and drive into the conference schedule.

As always jdhoosier, excellent work and keep 'em coming.

shealy said...

Only link to this blog I've found so far. You don't have to travel too far on this UK page to find much more offensive language and attacks.

http://www.spams-ukwildcatbasketball.com/

TheCoach said...

JD-can't you change the settings so that only the people you meant it for can get to it? KY fans are typically inbred, and don't think too well.

Westlake said...

JD! You totally hit the Big Time! Its fun getting wanna be Southern boys all worked up over a used car salesmen coach!