Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Coaching News and Rumors

So, with that crappy-ass draw we got in the tournament, I figured we might as well start chasing the coaching rumors. Might as well have some fun with it.

This isn't a rumor, but it is a good article by Pat Forde if you are interested in Bruce Pearl as a possibility for IU's next coach.


I hadn't given Pearl a lot of thought because I just don't see it happening, but his name is consistently mentioned. I think IU would have to pay him a gazillion dollars and I'm not sure why he would want to leave what he has going at Tennessee (a Top 10 program) for IU. But Tennessee is a football school and a women's basketball school. So, if he does dream of being the man in the spotlight, then head coach of the Indiana men's basketball team might be intriguing.

I'll tell you one thing, out of any of the coaches out there, Bruce Pearl might be the one at the top of the list of coaches that I would be fully confident that he would come in and win. Not just win, but win a lot. For example, I'm all for Tony Bennett, but I can't say that I am 100% confident that he would come in and win a ton. I think he would, but I am not 100% sure. As for Pearl, after watching him on the local scene here in Milwaukee and then seeing what he has done at Tennessee, this guy knows how to win basketball games. Might be an interesting style in the Big Ten as well.

What do you think?

The other notable story today was the article in the Chicago Sun Times that says IU is expected to contact Scott Skiles. First of all, I don't like this entire category of coaches -- NBA coaches that do not have any experience recruiting or coaching college basketball. So, that includes Skiles, Wittman, Woodson, and Isiah. Secondly, do you really think Skiles hard-ass style is really suited for recruiting today's young players. I don't.

To start thinking about several other coaching possibilities, you must read Terry Hutchens blog post where he names and comments on 25 possibilities from a few weeks ago. Here are a few interesting things about Hutchens' post:

1. Bruce Pearl -- Hutchens says "I just think some of his past problems (especially when he was at Iowa) would make him not a desirable candidate especially when you're trying to get as far away from the troubles you've experienced over the last two seasons as possible." I guess I don't really understand this comment. The situation at Iowa was that he blew the whistle on Illinois. I guess it was a questionable tactic to record phone conversations, etc., but I still see him as a whistle-blower, not a cheater. Besides, that was 20 years ago and he paid the price by basically being black-listed from D-I coaching jobs for several years.

It would be fun to get a guy that Illinois hates more than Eric Gordon and continue to keep whipping their ass.

2. John Calipari -- Will most likely again use the IU opening to get another raise. Also, everyone knows that Memphis is not a clean program and there is no way IU brings in a slick guy like this.

3. Tom Izzo -- Hutchens says "I've heard it from enough people now to believe that if Indiana came calling that Izzo would give the Hoosiers a long look." This is completely crazy to me. Izzo is God in East Lansing. Why in the world would he go to another Big Ten school where there is still an open NCAA investigation? Also, he would then be hated in East Lansing and he would not be guaranteed love from Hoosier Nation if he doesn't win right away. I just don't see this, but I find it interesting that Hutchens is hearing this from "enough people".

4. Steve Alford -- Good ole Stevie is not very high on my list because of the mess at Iowa. However, he did a great job in his first year at New Mexico and he did a great job prior to going to Iowa. So, you do have to wonder if the entire Iowa situation was just a mess beyond his control? Still not in my Top 10 for candidates, but if you wanted someone from the IU family, I could get behind Alford.

5. Rick Pitino -- I love the comment by Hutchens on Pitino...."Never say never. He's had Kentucky and Louisville. Why not complete the trifecta with the Hoosiers?" This guy can coach, there is no doubt about that. I have a horrible memory....does Pitino have violations or rumors of violations in his past?

6. Tony Bennett -- Two interesting things here. First, Hutchens has Bennett listed down in the middle of all the non-serious candidates such as Dane Fife, Pat Knight, Bob Knight, and Rick Majerus. Second, Hutchens mentions the problems that his sister had while at IU and the way she was let go. I had done some research on his sister at IU and did not find anything that sounded negative, but I guess Terry Hutchens would know a lot better than anyone. Anyway, for those of us in the Bennett camp, this blog post by Hutchens certainly did not get my hopes up.

Other than that, it seemed to be a pretty standard list. Overall, I've definitely heard some additional names, but this list covers most of them. I would say that approximately half the NCAA tournament field has coaches that have been mentioned for the IU job.

Well, I imagine the rumors will really begin heating up in the next few weeks, so please post a comment or send me an email anytime you hear one.

Any other rumors that you have heard? Or just initial thoughts on the next coach?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another interesting post Jeff concerning the future IU coach. Here's my take on the 6 names you mention:
1. Pearl - not a chance (unless Mellencamp puts up billions of dollars, which is quite a bit more than he paid to get Kelvin outta there)
2. Calipari - he's a sleazebag, don't want him.
3. Izzo - you gotta be kidding me. He might move on from MSU, but not for another B10 school.
4. Alford - sucked at Iowa and made several bone-headed decisions while there. I don't want him. We must do better than Alford.
5. Pitino - I love the trifecta idea. Wouldn't mind seeing him hired at all, but it's simply not realistic (unless Mellencamp is willing to pony up again).
6. Bennett - I like him. Will be interesting to see how Wash St does in the tourney. Grant Wahl from SI made this comment, "From everything I understand, what happened between Indiana and Kathi Bennett wouldn't prevent IU from considering Tony Bennett or vice-versa. Kathi Bennett resigned from the Indiana women's job in 2005 after five seasons citing personal reasons, but no sour grapes or bad blood has ever surfaced publicly."

By the way, any word on the potential removal of Greenspan?

Mick

Tom Earth said...

I'll comment on the six as well and add another:
1. Pearl -I did hear him on the Herd say that IU has always been his dream job. He then went on to say that TN is a place he never wants to leave.
2. Calipari -Don't want it to happen. There is no way he is even on the IU radar.
3. Izzo - About as good of a chance as Coach K coaching North Carolina in the future.
4. Alford - Last resort. Expectations are lower for me after the Sampson debacle. I am worried once again the top names will not be interested in the job.
5. Pitino - Don't see this happening either. Louisville is in a much better state tahn IU right now. It would be fun to see Rick in the crimson suit.
6. Bennett - My leading choice. Young with a knack for bringing the best out in his players. Best coach for teh long term. Liek Jeff, I worry that he may not be able to win right away. Then again, he is winning in a tough Pac 10.

I think an interesting name is Kevin Stallings. I know we have talked about him before. He definietly comes in with a clean record. He also has a great deal of tournament success. In hind sight, he would have been a nice follow up to the Davis era. I definitely think they could do a lot worse. I can get over the Purdue thing if he wins.

Anonymous said...

The only coach I want is Pitino, although it will cost us. I recently saw an article listing the top five winning percentages among active coaches in the NCAA tournament: 1.Coach K, 2. Donovan, 3. Slick Rick, 4. Izzo, and 5. Roy Williams. That does it for me. Hopefully, we have some big time donors willing to shell out some cash. I would also consider Jamie Dixon or Sean Miller. Who knows?

Anonymous said...

The above comment was from Greg.

Anonymous said...

I am a little worried with the direction that the blue ribbon committe is taking if they are looking into Skiles. I like Skiles as the Bulls coach, but it was obvious his problems stemmed from his players giving up on him. Most big time players are not going to want to come and play for him. I fear this group is a little too old to ne in touch with what players want in a coach.

Once the season is done, would it be a violation to add DJ to the search committe? He has shown that he is mature enough to be very helpful in picking aa new coach.

This really did start out that it was going to be about coaches, but I guess now it should have gone in the committee section.

Anonymous said...

I don't like Skiles as a candidate unless we've stopped talking about IU and we've started talking about the Pacers.

For no particular reason I think my list looks like this, although I'm not sure I have the right order:

1) Tony Bennet
2) Sean Miller
3) Scott Drew
4) Jamie Dixon
5) Bruce Pearl
6) Rick Pitino
7) Kevin Stallings

Anonymous said...

Chris Writes:
I like Sean's list, but different order and a couple other names: Tim Floyd and Steve Lavin.

1) Tony Bennet: Does he have the x and o's. Can he match up with IZZO and Bo?
2) Jamie Dixon: Does he have enough offensive prowess?
3) Rick Pitino - Do we have the $.
4) Steve Lavin - Knows the Big Ten and the IU fanbase. Great recruiter and a solid record at UCLA.
5) Tim Floyd: Experienced, but would he leave USC? This guy gets it done in college.
6) Bruce Pearl - No way is he leaving. Should have got him when we could.
7) Scott Drew: Read a story about having some recruiting issues at Baylor...
8) Sean Miller- I don't know. Seems a little green. That's a big step. Do we think he's Thad Matta?

Sam Smith said...

The intensity of articles can with out issues be felt of this weblog. Very specific and without delay to the mark. I understood with out difficulty the problem of fact which the author of this weblog wanted to deliver thru his mind. looking for more. CSIR Net June 2019 study material

Unknown said...

I don t have the time at the moment to fully read your site but I have bookmarked it and also add your RSS feeds. I will be back in a day or two. thanks for a great site. Geeks