Thursday, March 6, 2008

IU's Next Coach

Trust me when I tell you that there will be plenty more blog entries about IU's next coach in the next few weeks, so let's start slowly. For now, I'm interested in hearing what type of coach that IU should go after. So, let me know what you think. I see 3 categories: (1) The proven winner. A veteran coach that has a winning track record at a major program. (2) The young up-and-comer. A younger coach that has been highly successful at a mid-major or perhaps a school within a major conference that might not be high profile or have a rich basketball tradition. (3) The IU family. Which category do you think that IU should focus their coaching search on?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm firmly in the up-and-comer camp. I would love IU to land a coach that could be there 10-15 years or more if the fit is right. If the IU family had someone who could fill the role I could go for that but who would it be? It doesn't seem like Alford is the guy anymore and the NBA guys don't feel right for some reason. Who are the proven winners today anyhow? The top flight veteran coaches all seem to be approaching the back stretch of their careers. I just don't want to be having yet another coaching search in the next 3-5 years.

Anonymous said...

ryun:

definitely not family. either way on the other 2. these days coaches don't stay around long anyway. so, a proven vet would be fine too. i'm intrgued by skiles, but like bennett or few.

Anonymous said...

I definately think it is time to break from the IU family/veteran area and go for an up and comer with a clean slate. It will be a tougher job then ever having to first restore integrity to the program and the school and then rebuild. Hopefully the right fit will put the past in the past quickly!
Kristin

Unknown said...

I definitely want an up-and-comer. I like Tony Bennett, Sean Miller and Scott Drew. We tried the proven winner and got burned and the IU family sucks. Didn't Ohio State have a 1 year post season ban when they hired Thad Matta? Three years later they won the Big Ten, the Big Ten Tourney and played in the national championship game. That's what I want - less the post seasom ban.

Anonymous said...

Chris:

An up and comer with adequate experience. The person needs to have a strong personality to attract recruits and build enthusiasm around the program.

Hoeppner had the kind of charisma we need to get people looking forward with optimism.

Westlake said...

We have to stay away from the IU family. Randy Whitman? Please, thats not going to get it done. Bennett has great defensive stats, and hes a Mid-Western guy. My pick of them all would be Tom Creen of Marquette. Hes a proven winner, an up and coming style of play, and he can get the talent!