Sunday, March 16, 2008

We Got Screwed

We got so screwed that I cannot even believe it. 8 seed!?! No frickin' way. I understand we are playing lousy right now and that our strength of schedule was not the strongest this year, but even with all those things factored in, IU should have been a #6 at worst. All of the major publications/websites had IU as a 5 or a 6 and then the committee comes up with an 8 seed!?! That makes no sense. We finish ahead of Michigan State and they end up a 5 seed and we are an 8!?!? I'm fine with Michigan State being a higher seed, but if they are a 5, we are a 6 for sure. 25 regular season wins and 14-4 in a power conference.....8 seed. Bullshit. Even if this team can pull it together for a first-round win against a hot Arkansas team, then you play the #1 seed of the whole tournament in their own backyard. I can't think of a worse possible draw. And it came right out of the gate too. A lot has gone on this year, especially in the last month, but I was still excited to see our tournament draw. I couldn't wait to see what I expected to be a winnable game against an 11 or 12 seed and then see the potential path of a tournament run. Even though this team is playing like crap right now, I was still excited to envision that possible tournament run. Then, boom, right out the gate on the Selection Show -- death sentence. The very first game that is mentioned after the #1 seeds and all my hopes (as ridiculous as they may have been) were gone. I mean, that's half the fun of the tournament, right? The hope and excitement of your team possibly making a run? But no, this is pretty much a death sentence. It feels personal. I think Myles Brand and the NCAA are really screwing with IU and their fans. First, the NCAA finally responds to the Sampson situation right before IU's biggest stretch of games against Wisconsin, MSU, and PU. Interesting timing on that one. Then, they set the hearing for June with an ultimate ruling not likely until August which really handcuffs IU's coaching search and ability to recruit new players and keep existing players and recruits. Now this. You ever notice in the years we have been on the bubble, it seems that we never get announced until the fourth bracket. Even in some of those years, it seemed we would still end up a 6 seed or something. This year, we are safely in the tournament and they lay an 8 seed on us where if you win your 1st round game, then you play the best team in the country in their backyard and they announce that immediately. I couldn't even enjoy the rest of the brackets. I'm so pissed. What a total crock of shit. IU deserved to fall to a 6 seed, but not an 8. Not 3 full seeds lower than Michigan State. Just take a look at some of the teams with better seeds than IU. It's mind-boggling. This season has been unbelievable. Low blow after low blow. IU better get this next coach right. Whoever it is needs to come in here, get this thing on the right track and take a run at a title. And when we do win another title, I'm walking around for a full year in IU gear and my middle fingers blazin'. I'm just angry at the world right now. I'm guessing we are probably looking at a first-round loss. After Friday night's game and now this draw in the tournament, this team is going to be hard-pressed to break out of the fog they have been in since Sampson screwed them over. They might continue to say the right things and have good practices, but it's my guess that they will continue to be in that fog and get bounced out right away in the first round. Of course, that could save them a 107-37 thumpin' from North Carolina. This season has taken my pride. It's taken my livelihood. I'm a shell of a man. 8 seed?!?! I still can't believe it.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

ryun:

so who's coming to raleigh? it's about 2 hours from my house. let's get tickets! 8 seed is crazy. just like our season to get UNC in the 2nd round!

Tom Earth said...

I think I heard Tiger yell, "Shove that up your ass, IU!" when he sunk that 25-foor birdie on 18. The world is against us.

I am beside myself right now. I work with a UCONN fan and a Vandy fan. We have been neck and neck with those two schools all year. All three schools lost their first game in their conference tourney. Those two schools get #4s and we get screwed with a #8. It blows my mind.

I really think there is something to Jeff's theory about the NCAA being against IU. Everyone has said that they were looking to make an example out of someone this year. They bust IU for minor violations and then pick the worst possible time to announce that the ruling with be in June.

I feel the program is going to be in the shitter for the next five years. I can not express how pissed I am right now. I do not think I am going to fill out a bracket this year.

Anonymous said...

IU Grad here. I think they are lucky with that high of a seed. Lost three of their last four, super freshman looks like he should come back for another year of college ball (he will get schooled in the NBA with his poor defense and out of control drives to the hoop), they just don't look good right now. The only one who seems to be playing to win is DJ White. The NCAA is hoping for the game of their lives against NC so they make it a game. But reality says another one and out year. I say put this season to bed and find an ethical coach. FYI - Purdue is going to be good next year.

Anonymous said...

Ben wrote:

All we can hope is that the #8 seed will be the extent of the NCAA's punishment of IU for Sampsons bad judgements.

With all the hope and potential coming into this season, this IU team will go down as the biggest group of underachievers in IU history!

You gotta give Sampson some credit. We were all hoping to see IU playing in San Antonio in March...even though IU didn't make it, Sampson sure did...I hope he is enjoying it!

Thanks Kelvin for coming in and f*@%^*@! things up!

Anonymous said...

Chris Writes:
I have to say this has been one of the quietest weekends around the Harrell house in years. I finally pull Shana into the "full fanhood" level, she buys into the IU glory, we're watching the selection show over dinner and POOF!!! Where'd my mojo go? Our exciting event quickly reduced to having a quiet dinner pushing peas around the plate trying to break the awkward silence. THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A REVIVAL YEAR!

And now, according to Tom, the worlds greatest golfer has joined in the IU hate fest. You'll have to excuse me, I need to go take a immense shitola on company time. Suddenly my gut is roaring...The thought of being a basement program in the big ten with sanctions while Kelvin gets off with $750k.

Unknown said...

Stick a fork in my ass and turm me over. I'm done!!!

Anonymous said...

8 seed seems low, but in reality they're probably not even one of the best 40 teams in the country, so i'll deal with an 8.

You guys are looking at this all wrong. This is the chance they need, go in to NC and beat the shit out of the tarheels and their gay center (not that there's anything wrong with that), but did you see his celebration on TV... Flaaaming

You're going to have to beat a good team to get the final 4. get that big upset and the rest of the schedule is easy in comparison.

Anonymous said...

is anonymous the same moron that wrote in earlier as an iu grad? we are on of the best 40 teams! there is no way #8 is fair. you don't base it all on the last 3 games. everyone knows and says that. look from start to finish as the genereal says. 25-7. ranked all year. #3 in the big ten. we don't deserve an 8.

Anonymous said...

here's a good write-up on Foxsports that gives some creedo (not sure how to spell that) to the conspiracy theory that the selection commitee was out to get them.
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/7929770?MSNHPHMA