Wednesday, March 5, 2008

IU 69 Minnesota 55

I was going to skip the post tonight because I am still pouting about Sunday's lackluster performance. Throw in the Brett Favre retirement news and I feel like I have been getting kicked in the nuts repeatedly for the last 96 hours straight. But since this game was on the BTN, I figured those are the games that many of you are interested in hearing my rambling thoughts. Speaking of the BTN, the coverage was horrible tonight. They must have had an intern operating the main camera because the player with the ball was not even in view about half the time. Can someone with BTN back me up on this? It was really strange. It was like they were using a camera without zoom capabilities. Anyway, back to the game. For those that did not see it, I think the best thing that I could tell you was that this was pretty much a typical home victory for IU against a weaker opponent. They've played this type of game all year. You know the one. They look decent and have a 5 or 6 point most of the way, but they let the team hang around. Then the game is tied or they lose the lead by a point or two and it stays tight until about 8 minutes to go in the 2nd half. Finally, IU hits their FTs down the stretch and eventually secure an unimpressive home victory. Highlight of the Game: After Minnesota had cut the lead to 1 with 1.7 seconds to play....Stemler throws a baseball pass to DJ....DJ catches, turns, rises up with a defender in his face, and drains a 25-footer at the halftime buzzer. It was awesome. DJ's first career 3-pointer comes on a halftime buzzer-beater on Senior Night. He ran off the court with the biggest grin on his face. He looked like a grade-schooler who just scored his first points ever. Overall Team Performance: C Let's just say that this game certainly did not make me forget Sunday's grotesque performance. But once again, I do have to say how much I love the way this team shoots FTs. 20-22 from the line tonight. That can win you a lot of games when you are not getting your ass beat by 30+ (see, I'm still not over Sunday's debacle). D.J. White: A+ The actual game performance was probably in the B range, but DJ gets the A+ from me on Senior Night. D.J. White is a great Hoosier and has done himself, the team, the university, and the entire Hoosier Nation proud. I still don't think they try to get DJ the ball enough. For example, DJ was 6-8 at halftime and the rest of the team was 6-22. They would go through 4 or 5 minute stretches tonight without a FG and wouldn't get DJ any touches. The only problem with trying to feed DJ is that this leads to a lot of turnovers. Gordon, Stemler, and Bassett all had turnovers tonight when trying to get DJ the ball. Anyway, find a way to get the Big Ten Player of the Year the ball more! After hitting the halftime buzzer trey, DJ then tried his luck with an 18-footer in the 2nd half. It rolled around the rim twice, went half way down, but then popped out. I was bummed because if he would have hit the 18-footer, you know another 3-ball would have come next, but no such luck. Be sure to check out The Hoosier Scoop's "Senior Speeches" link for some paraphrasing of the speeches. I am hoping that bigtennetwork.com will release video of the speeches as well, but nothing yet. Armon Bassett: B Armon was pretty good again tonight. The shot wasn't falling a lot, but he did still hit a few big treys. 3-9 from the arc on the night, but that's a helluva lot better than some of the guys we will be talking about a little bit later. Jamarcus Ellis: A Jamarcus was great tonight. I think Ellis has been pretty bad the last couple of weeks, but he looked like the J-Ellis we saw for the first half of the year. 13 rebounds, that's outstanding. He even added 10 points to make it a double-double. And the points were key because they came in the lane against the zone defense and they came at times when IU could not hit any jump shots. He also had 4 steals and was around the ball all night long. Eric Gordon: C- Gordon continues to struggle. First, the bad: 4-11 from the field including 0-4 from the arc and 4 turnovers. His shot is gone right now. IU has down-played the wrist injury, but that's a long time to be wearing protection and a heavy wrap. It also seems to coincide with Gordon's struggles from the arc. I haven't done any specific research, but I know his 3PT shooting percentage has been on a steady decline. As for the good, Gordon still managed 20 points, mainly by hitting 12-14 from the line. He also hit a 15-foot jumper and a nice floater in the lane that helped fuel IU breaking this game open. As bad as this team has looked in the post-Sampson era, I still think there is one way this team can make a run in the tourney and that is for Gordon to get his shot back and simply play better all-around basketball. If he starts feeling it from long range again and gets his overall game on track, that can elevate this team to another level. But the way he has been looking lately, that would seem to just be wishful thinking. Lance Stemler: D+ Just play Taber. Stemler was another 0-3 from the arc tonight. Jordan Crawford: D+ Head firmly up the ass tonight. After missing a dunk on Sunday, he misses a layup tonight. Hit his first 3, but looked like crap after that. Kyle Taber: B+ Only 13 minutes, but grabbed 3 boards and made his only FG attempt on a nice offensive rebound and put-back. DeAndre Thomas: C 5 minutes and 1 foul....seems about right. Go Hoosiers!

3 comments:

Tom Earth said...

I will back up Jeff on the horrible camera work from the BTN. For a while, I was afraid it was my TV. I went downstairs and realized it was the BTN's fault.

I wish I could comment more on the game. It is hard to give a grade less than a C for a victory (especially a 14 point victory). It seems the opponent always has one player that has a career night against IU. McKenzie just seems to light up IU. He single-handley gave them the lead in the second half. He was hitting ridiculous shots. I thought it was a poor performance by IU tonight. They lose that game if they are playing a top tier BT team.

I noticed that they had IU in the #3 seed in the BT Touney. I would think we would be #2 if they win this weekend. Shouldn't we have the tie-breaker with Purdue. That may be a good question for Mr. Idiot.

Unknown said...

I can also confirm the BTN camera coverage was horrible. There must have been 5 times where I thought the IU player was passing the ball to nobody, only to realize that I simply couldn't see the player that caught the ball.

As for the team performance, I'd give them a C-. I just don't get the feeling that this team is very insired since Sampson resigned. But I guess that's understandable. Hopefully, they can rally and kick some butt the rest of the month.

Now, I'm going to return to my mourning over the retirement of Brett Favre.

Anonymous said...

Chris Wrote:

I couldn't see a thing, but I was in my car listening. I lost the radio call and switched to the cell phone "refreshing" for most of the 2nd half. Even with that limited input, I give IU a "D" as in Dud. In the past, IU would come roaring back from a thumpin' by beating the crap out of the next team at Assembly Hall.

My impression is that our team is limping into the tourney season. They are not playing defense to their ability and the offense is really the Mike Davis one-on-one system. Sampson didn't really innovate anything on that front.

I really hated to watch Wisconsin's B10 title celebration last night. They drubbed Penn State and won the title. We would be sharing that title if we would have beaten Wisky at Assembly Hall. Brian Butch's lucky shot was the difference in the season.

I haven't thought much about who the next coach should be, but I want someone with some offensive creativity. Bo Ryan's swing offense high percentage creates shots and that's why he can win the B10 with lesser talent.

Also, its time for Indiana to recruit some big men. We are too small. We need a 7 footer or at least some 6-10 talent. When you look at Memphis, Georgetown, and Kansas you see these NBA bodies. Even Purdue has two big white dudes that will be solid college players for years to come...and they are from Indiana!

Ok this was a ramble, but I had 4 hours of windshield time yesterday to build this up.

Here is what the program needs..

New Coach, experienced, clean record, well spoken, energizing personality.

Offensive Creativity: In college, you need a system to create shots and tire the defense. No more one-on-one crap.

More size (height not weight like DeAndre)