Saturday, November 14, 2009

Lasting Impressions: IU 83 Howard 60

Without looking at the box score or talking with my fellow fanatics, here are my lasting impressions from the 1st regular season game of the year:

  • You notice when Mo Creek and Christian Watford are both out of the game
  • Derek Elston was outstanding
  • Team defense is horrible
  • Offensive sets or half-court offense is reprehensible, you can't even decipher what they are trying to do
  • Depth was great
  • Energy was great
  • Future is bright
  • THIS IS STILL CLEARLY A REBUILDING YEAR

3 comments:

TheCoach said...

love the depth, but not playing 11 guys early in the 1st half. maybe 9? roth doesn't need to play. not a big VJIII fan at this point. how about a lineup of rivers,creek, elston, watford, and pritchard!? i know it won't happen, but that's my 5 right now. i just love that if we have a player off, it really doesn't matter. you can't scout this team and say-we have to key on this guy.

Tom Earth said...

I woke up in the middle of the night with cold sweats thinking about that 10 minute stretch in the first half when the score stayed 13-10. The only saving grace was that Howard kept jacking up threes. If that was a Big Ten game, IU would have been down by 15.

When Dumes came into the game, I knew he was putting it up right away. That three attempt was the non-verbal way of saying "I am going to drain this and show why I should be starting." I really liked the early flow until Crean started subbing in everyone.

Jobe looked lost out there when he first entered the game. I still love the guy though. On the offensive end he bumped into a few guys and immediately threw his hands up as if he wasn't guilty for the bump. On the defensive end, he elbows a guy in the chest and gets whistled for a dumb foul. Wasn't a great start for TJ.

Overall I was really happy with the performance of Creek and Elston. I am looking forward to getting down there in a few weeks.

jdhoosier said...

Tom, I completely agree with you on that horrible stretch in the first half. I had a lump in my throat and felt like we weren't any better than last year. The Alpha King Ale got me through that stretch and then we finally started playing better.